• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any Pumpkin Carvers here?

I've always had a bit of an artistic background (mostly prefer just pencil drawing), and for the past two years, I've been trying to get creative with pumpkin carving. There's tons of videos online for people who get REALLY into it, using power tools and stuff (jigsaws, Dremel tools, etc.), and a really cool website here:
http://www.extremepumpkins.com/

Actually, if you just search "Extreme Pumpkin Carving" and click on 'Images,' some pretty wild stuff comes up. I don't take it half as serious as the people on there, but it's still a lot of fun.

I did a this "Minion" 2 years ago, but it didn't come out quite as good as this one (pic stolen from Internet), and it made a freakin' mess of my dining room walls before I moved it outside and made a mess on my deck, haha (no matter how slow I had the Dremel going ;) )
IMG_5482.JPG

My Minion didn't come out half bad, but I can't seem to find the pics.

Anyway......... I'm not trying to get all Political here (please don't turn this thread into that), but here's the two pumpkins that I personally carved last year:
First, my "TRUMPKIN," hahaha
IMG_3829.PNG

And an indirect nod to Gene Wilder, who passed away last year. "Igor" from the movie Young Frankenstein
IMG_3830.PNG

Halloween's right around the corner and I'm looking for ideas for this year? Any input? Anybody else carve pumpkins too?

Really cool work you have there Mike.  You've got talent bro!  :)  

We make a little less mess and mostly fart around with the templates that come in the carving kits (because somehow we never manage to keep any of the tools from year to year) but I've seen some really great pumpkins around the neighborhood while out trick or treating with the kids.  

SmokenFire said:
Really cool work you have there Mike.  You've got talent bro!  :)
Thanks Dru! :party:

SmokenFire said:
We make a little less mess and mostly fart around with the templates that come in the carving kits
Yeah, I hear you. I did a really cool template one a few years back of a skeleton peering through window blinds (I think it's a pretty common one). Pre-smartphone days though, lol. No pics

SmokenFire said:
somehow we never manage to keep any of the tools from year to year
Same here, haha. I'm sure I'll find last year's kit when I put away the one I'll buy this year :rofl: Won't be the first time, won't be the last ;)

peppamang said:
What kind of pencil art do you usually do? Portraits and stills, or just doodles? 
A little bit of both, I guess. Honestly, drawing started becoming a lot less fun when I stopped smoking pot and joined the Marines right after high school, haha. I haven't 'really' drawn anything in like 15-20 years. I still doodle a lot for my kids though

I can't believe I still have this stuff hanging around, lol. Bunch of stuff I started drawing in high school in the late 90's that I never got around to finishing. I was always a big Doors fan ;)

IMG_5665.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

I'm honestly amazed that this thing is still (mostly) intact, lol. This was some sort of 3D project we had to do in art class one year. I wanna say this was from '97 or '98. The masking tape holding it together is all original, haha (kinda falling apart now though)

IMG_5661.JPG

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5662.JPG

IMG_5663.JPG

It was pretty cool, hanging on a wall (when I was single :mope: :rofl: )
Walking past it one way, it looked like a totally different picture than walking past it in the other direction

Sometimes my wife shows me posts on Facebook of some of my work I did 20 years ago (that I don't even remember doing), that some people have still hung on to.

"Here's a pic that Mike drew me, back in 1996! Still have it!"

Cracks me up, lol

Back