•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Photo

Time to start over

indoor cats grow tent led

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

Getting pretty big now. Thai's are at 14 inches, hab's at 7. Got a few flower buds that look like they could open soon.

DSCF10069.JPG

DSCF10074.JPG
  • NeedsWork , Walchit and qandeel like this

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 AvidLiving

AvidLiving

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Looks great!

#23 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

And we have peppers! Three on one Thai, and one on the other. Have got lots of flowers on the hab's, and it looks like one might be setting fruit now too. The plants aren't quite two months old from the time they sprouted.

DSCF10077.JPG

DSCF10079.JPG
  • NeedsWork , KAOS and Walchit like this

#24 KAOS

KAOS

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:27 PM

Nice going Scott.

You still using the 45 watt? I've been wondering what the minimum size LED unit that would be that could sustain growth through to fruit and you have proven it (assuming it is the 45W). Well done.

• Walchit likes this

It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames

#25 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yup, still using the Unifun 45 watt (36 actually draw). I wasn't too sure it would be enough, but apparently 255 0.2w LEDs are quite a bit more efficient than 5 or 10w LEDs. I'll probably still upgrade to a 300 watt (~130 actuall) eventually, particularly when they get really big and bushy, either that or get three more of the unifun's. Might just get four more so I can use one for a seedling starter box.
  • Walchit likes this

#26 MNXR250R

MNXR250R

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Wow !   45 Watts  :party:    I never would have thought that you'd get peppers.  I guess I can cut way back on my electric bill !!!

Jeff

• Walchit , Hafners and AvidLiving like this

#27 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

Two months and the Thai's are up to 24 inches tall already, while the hab's are about 10, but they're much bigger around. Still only have the three peppers on one Thai, and still getting some flower drop on all the plants. Gonna try going back to 18/6 since I've been running 18/8 for the last month. Temps averaging 75f day and night, and humidity averaging 65%.
  • AvidLiving likes this

#28 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 04:59 PM

The plants are really starting to fill up the tent. Still only 4 peppers on one plant, hopefully the others will start pollinating soon. Thais are up to 29 inches now.

DSCF10096.JPG
  • NeedsWork and AvidLiving like this

#29 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

Added some new toys recently. Added another mini ceramic heater and eliminated the ceramic heat emitter, much faster recovery time now. Today I put in new computer fans that move a little bit more air and are really quiet so it doesn't sound like there's a vacuum running continuously in our basement. Also added a drip irrigation system for ease of watering.

The hard part was caging the Thai plants, they were kinda entwined together and supporting each other, so removing them from the tent nearly made them fall over. Broke a few little branches in the process, but didn't lose any of the 8 peppers. The have still haven't set fruit yet. Gonna be ordering 3 more unifun 45 watt panels soon, which I already have the frame and hanger setup ready.

Might order some cns17 bloom for fertigation when the potting mix fertilizer runs out. Anybody have experience with the botanicare cns17 line?

Pics probably tomorrow.

#30 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Pictures as promised.

The Thai on the left took a bit more damage installing the cages.
DSCF0101.JPG

The hab's have a huge dense canopy, but no peppers yet.
DSCF0102.JPG

One of the mini space heaters tucked in a corner. With two of these running there's no problem hitting 80f+ even when the basements around 55f like it is right now with the -22f weather. Temp controllers set to average about 77f.
DSCF0103.JPG

And, of course, the water supply for the new drip irrigation system for quick easy weekly watering.
DSCF0105.JPG
  • NeedsWork and Masher like this

#31 NeedsWork

NeedsWork

Heating Up

• Extreme
  • 485 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

Great looking plants and nice setup!  That drip irrigation must be great now that you have a jungle on your hands.  Have you tried hand pollinating the habs with cotton swabs?  Two years ago I trimmed my Thai peppers way back after they grew too large.  They recovered and bushed out in a few weeks.  Just my .02 if they get too big.

Keep it up!  and happy new year!

• Walchit likes this

#32 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

Great looking plants and nice setup!  That drip irrigation must be great now that you have a jungle on your hands.  Have you tried hand pollinating the habs with cotton swabs?  Two years ago I trimmed my Thai peppers way back after they grew too large.  They recovered and bushed out in a few weeks.  Just my .02 if they get too big.

Keep it up!  and happy new year!

I did try qtip pollinating the habs a few weeks ago, but haven't tried since. I guess its time to try again. I have intentionally trimmed the Thais a couple times to keep them from shading the shorter plants, even had to trim back the habs a bit because they were tangled into the Thais making it hard to water. Hence the drip irrigation necessity.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens when i quadruple the lighting in a few weeks.
  • NeedsWork , Walchit and AvidLiving like this

#33 AvidLiving

AvidLiving

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

I did try qtip pollinating the habs a few weeks ago, but haven't tried since. I guess its time to try again. I have intentionally trimmed the Thais a couple times to keep them from shading the shorter plants, even had to trim back the habs a bit because they were tangled into the Thais making it hard to water. Hence the drip irrigation necessity.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens when i quadruple the lighting in a few weeks.

I use Carolina pollinators

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

#34 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Installed 3 more unifun panels a couple days ago, I'm already seeing some new sprouts.
DSCF0107.JPG
DSCF0108.JPG
The habs are taking over the lower regions of the tent
DSCF0109.JPG
The drip rings on their zip tie stands.
Would you say that's good canopy penetration with the expanded light setup?DSCF0110.JPG

Edited by Hafners, 10 January 2018 - 09:03 PM.

• NeedsWork and Walchit like this

#35 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:56 PM

Interesting. I measured leaf surface temps after the lighting addition. Temps are around 3 degrees higher than before with the same ambient temps. But still low enough to make happy plants. At 6 inches below the lights it's -4, at 31 inches below (habanero canopy) its -7.

#36 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:34 PM

Excellent grow can't wait to see some pods ;)

• Hafners likes this

#37 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

Excellent grow can't wait to see some pods ;)

There are some pods on the Thai's but none on the habs yet. I think the ferts in the potting mix may be getting low, but I'll have some cns17 in about a week or so. Probably start at half strength since there's still some nutrients.
  • dazorni likes this

#38 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Spotted the first habanero pod this morning. Its hard to tell if I'm getting much pollen out of the other flowers, but its probably really fine compared to what I get out of the Thai's. I harvest a couple not quite fully ripe Thai pods yesterday, and boy do they have a bite. I would say at least 10 times hotter than the mucho nacho's. There's at least a dozen new pods started between the two Thai plants. Can't wait to see what happens after I start feeding with the cns17.
  • Walchit likes this

#39 Hafners

Hafners

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

Just some more pictures I took tonight. The 9 square foot jungle.....

DSCF0118.JPG

DSCF0116.JPG

DSCF0114.JPG

DSCF0117.JPG

DSCF0115.JPG

DSCF0113.JPG
  • NeedsWork and Walchit like this

#40 Sinn

Sinn

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip