• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rarest Pepper?

The rarest seed are the ones that are rare in its own environment and protected by the country. The only way to get them would be to find them one and remove them with an exotic animal import/export license.

AJ Drew said:
My thinking is if it in a seed catalog, there is something much more rare.  Have some seed from Mexico that the person who sent it said it was found in a corn field.  The only name on it is the village that is close to where it was found where they now grow it.
I had a Japanese acquaintance look into the formerly extinct "Tokuyama Togarashi" from that newspaper article. They came back with nothing. Tokuyama grows an assortment of peppers and their spice blend from the one in question, translating to "Phantom Pepper Powder" couldn't be traced back to any known strain. The only hard evidence of its existence is that one photograph.

one photograph is hardly definitive proof of the existence of a rare pepper. When I refer to rare peppers, I mean the ones that grow wild in Peru or Brazil etc, that have been come across and documented as new and rare. They some how get preferential protection against harvesting or even possession. There are tidbits of supporting information throughout this forums archives. But could be quickly confirmed or debunked by Nigel Carter or Prodigal son and maybe even Judy.

CAPCOM said:

Interesting. I take it, obviously these are annuums.

Interesting link. http://comapeno.com/

Yea its a annuum. Duffy has seeds for em.

http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Chile-Comapeno-Pepper-Seeds-P5227600.aspx

Back on topic:

I can think of about 4 or 5 extremely rare types, so rare I can't even mention them  :cool:

Seriously though, you need to follow the Italian pepper forums or current plant biologist journals to know whats really rare.

With Nigel gone, I can only think of two people on this site who are hip to whats really really rare in the wild pepper scene.

:cheers:

Not nearly as rare as the Christmas lime tree pepper.

I believe it comes from Christmas Island.

IMG_0557.JPG

cmpman1974 said:
It's rare, but plenty WAY rarer in Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, etc.  :)

Chris

Still waiting on those C.friburgense,Chris?? I've had those for a few years now,forgot to send them...shit!!!  :P

I agree with the comment above,if it's being sold by numerous vendors,it isn't too rare. But C.tovarii only grows in one specific river basin in Peru,that does makes it pretty damn rare. It was hard to obtain in our circles too,up until a few years ago. There have been thousands upon thousands of these seeds shared in that time though. What's funny is that there are a lot of South Americans looking for this species,so I guess rare can be relative to your location.

If someone crosses two peppers and never shares the results,that would make it the rarest,correct?

Pr0digal_son said:

If someone crosses two peppers and never shares the results,that would make it the rarest,correct?

Hmm, that made me think. So if someone had their own cross and saved the seeds but didn't overwinter any plants, there would actually be NO living plants of that variety left in the world. At least not until that person sowed seeds again in the spring. Yeah, that would make it pretty damn rare.  :)

BlackFatalii said:

Hmm, that made me think. So if someone had their own cross and saved the seeds but didn't overwinter any plants, there would actually be NO living plants of that variety left in the world. At least not until that person sowed seeds again in the spring. Yeah, that would make it pretty damn rare.  :)

My thoughts exactly  :clap:

Back