• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting T5 54W High Output Light Setup for Grow Tent

I am wanting to bring my plants inside for the winter and continue growing them inside a 4x8 grow tent.  The tent will be full of flowering reapers, moruga scorpions, chocolate bhutlah's, 7 pot douglah's and red ghost peppers. The lights I have are 4 ft T5 high output 6500k fluorescent's with 8 bulbs in each.  I was planning on having two of these lights end to end length wise for the 4x8 tent.  My question is will this be enough lighting and will I need to alternate the 6500k bulbs with 3000 k bulbs to keep these plants flowering productively?

You will need 3000 lumens per square foot of plant canopy to bring a chile to fruit w/o other light sources.

An 8-lamp T5 luminaire  will produce a little less than  40,000 lumens.

8' x 4'  = 32 square feet x 3000 lumens/sq foot = 96,000 lumens required

browndd1 said:
I am wanting to bring my plants inside for the winter and continue growing them inside a 4x8 grow tent.  The tent will be full of flowering reapers, moruga scorpions, chocolate bhutlah's, 7 pot douglah's and red ghost peppers. The lights I have are 4 ft T5 high output 6500k fluorescent's with 8 bulbs in each.  I was planning on having two of these lights end to end length wise for the 4x8 tent.  My question is will this be enough lighting and will I need to alternate the 6500k bulbs with 3000 k bulbs to keep these plants flowering productively?

Here's what I would recommend and use in my grow racks.  I have 24" T5 fixtures, I replaced the florescent tubes with T5 LEDs. I took the fixture into a local grow supply place and they tested the fixture with their meter. The fixture was a 4 tube fixture with 2 red and 2 blue T5 LED lights, the meter read 300 - 400, which was sufficient for veg growth. I then replaced the 2 blue bulbs with 2 full spectrum T5 LEDs, and we retested the fixture. The test showed 500+, so the full spectrum gave off more light energy. I am now using the full spectrum and the red LEDs. The only place I know where you can get the full spectrum T5s is from growlights.ca. Also the T5's consume 25% less energy. I also had the guy test his T5 florescent tubes, those came out at 200 - 300. I would dump the florescent tubes and go with the T5s. In addition, the T5 LEDs give off very little heat and I find my plants growing up into the light fixture, with no burned leaves, etc.

SAM_0634A.JPG

The pic shows Cal Wonder Pepper with a pepper on it and the Banana Pepper plant in the background with multiple yellow peppers on it.

Back