• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Nam Chim (Jim) Thai Dipping sauce

This is a great dipping sauce that I find myself using on just about everything when I make it, although it is tradionally served with seafood. This is really a taste as you go sauce so adjust the quantities according to your taste, but I will give the foundation in small quantities. I will be making another batch tomorrow as some of my Thai birds eye peppers have finally started to ripen to red and will update with pics.

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup fish sauce
6 -7 Garlic cloves (about a 1/8 cup)
5-6 Thai birds eye chilis
About a 3 or 4 tbs cilantro stems and root (if you can find cilantro with the root attached) add a few leaves too, but its the flavor from the stem and root you are looking for.
1 tbs brown sugar or palm sugar (more may be necessary)
1 Green onion, white and green parts. Or about a tbs of chopped scallions.
1 tsp good quality oyster sauce

Add everything to a blender and pulse several times, transfer to a bowl, cover and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour or two.... readjust to your liking.

If the sauce is too thick add filtered water
Too thin add a touch more oyster sauce.

Enjoy!

Sounds good but no oil? What do you think of sesame? And the tbs of chopped scallion alternative, assuming you mean dried. Or else it sounds small to me.

Nice.

The Hot Pepper said:
Sounds good but no oil? What do you think of sesame? And the tbs of chopped scallion alternative, assuming you mean dried. Or else it sounds small to me.

Nice.
Really not necessary but you can add it if you wish depending on what you are eating, it is one of those what tastes good at the moment sauces. Try it first than add to it.

I like a little oil in thin dipping sauce if it is for deep fried foods because it helps the sauce cling to the shell instead of soaking in but I've had both ways... nice recipe... :)

I think a little five spice, fennel, Thai basil (Kaprow) would be good. I lived there in ISSAN territory up North, and they used it. I loved Nam tok, Pad krapow moo and laab. They used mint more than I expected, it was good, especially in Nam tok.

Back