•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Excuse me- been out for while- Thai throwdown anybody?

Thai Throwdown?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bootsieb

Bootsieb

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

I am not sure where to post- How about a Thai throwdown?

Nam Tok

Pad Krapow

Tom yum Goong

Tiger crying beef

Labb

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,581 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Atm we aren't doing throwdowns though maybe a special challenge will be permitted

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#3 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 22,328 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

How about you cook all those dishes up pronto so we can stare and drool at our phones.

#4 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

A place near me makes Crying Tiger. Its wicked. Served with a mild lime based sauce and the brutal pepper based sauce.

#5 DaQatz

DaQatz

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

I don't see a reason why we couldn't hold unofficial "Throw Downs". Shouldn't be hard to get a few people to participate. You would just be lacking the fancy TD icons on your profile etc... Would still have fun though.

Peppers taste the flamebow.

#6 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:56 PM

My wife is dead set on finding a good recipe for tom yum goong like we had at one of our favorite thai places but it closed down. So if you have a good recipe that you're willing to share, that would be awesome!

#7 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,161 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Would be nice, like the idea of Pad Krapow :)

#8 Walchit

Walchit

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

What? No cream of sum Yung gui? I'm outta here!

#9 kentishman

kentishman

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:06 AM

Nice to have you back Bootsieb. You sent me seeds for Korean varieties a few years back. After your Thai throwdown, how about Kimchi? I've grown and dried a mild Korean pepper this year and plan to make Kimchi.

#10 Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • aka:Voodoo

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

Damn, I see a gauntlet thrust deeply into the floor...

#11 Bootsieb

Bootsieb

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

Nice to have you back Bootsieb. You sent me seeds for Korean varieties a few years back. After your Thai throwdown, how about Kimchi? I've grown and dried a mild Korean pepper this year and plan to make Kimchi.

Was a little busy teaching here and there. So, I was not in Korea all of the time. But, it is nice to see those seeds still providing. I can not get them out anymore.

#12 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

My wife is dead set on finding a good recipe for tom yum goong like we had at one of our favorite thai places but it closed down. So if you have a good recipe that you're willing to share, that would be awesome!

Pay attention on how to prepare the first 3 herbs used in the stock and make shrimp stock from scratch. Buy whole shrimp with head on. Clean the shrimp but use the shells and heads for the stock.

Its all in the stock and how you prep the stock with lemon grass, lime leaves and galangal. Fresh chilis are great also. Most of the rest is kinda upto you. A little tamarind paste and lime vs all lime juice....chili paste vs Tom Yum paste ect ect. I use a Tom Yum paste and a tiny bit of coconut powder or cream but i like a hint of the "creamy kha style". Just omit the cream part if you don't like it.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 18 October 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#13 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

I don't remember Boss saying the privately provoked head to head TD's were over, just the main.

I bet if you sweet talked him he'd do up the voting thing at the end for ya.

Good Luck, I hope this head to head challenge happens  :cheers:

#14 Edmick

Edmick

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

Pay attention on how to prepare the first 3 herbs used in the stock and make shrimp stock from scratch. Buy whole shrimp with head on. Clean the shrimp but use the shells and heads for the stock.

Its all in the stock and how you prep the stock with lemon grass, lime leaves and galangal. Fresh chilis are great also. Most of the rest is kinda upto you. A little tamarind paste and lime vs all lime juice....chili paste vs Tom Yum paste ect ect. I use a Tom Yum paste and a tiny bit of coconut powder or cream but i like a hint of the "creamy kha style". Just omit the cream part if you don't like it.

That video looks pretty spot on to how we like it. The one we had was coconut milk instead on condensed milk. We'll definitely give this recipe a try. Thanks!

#15 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Ive had it the way its made in the video but with coconut and im VERY fond of it too. I think that is called Tom Yum Kha or just Tom Kha. Ive had it with chicken and shrimp. Both are quite tasty.

Another favorite is without any cream and thin rice noodles. Tom Yum Noodles...Authentic is made with ground pork but i like it made like regular Tom Yum with fish cakes or fish balls and shrimp.

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 19 October 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#16 Bootsieb

Bootsieb

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

What are rules, date and conditions? Anyone gonna lay em down?  I think the dishes should have the key elements of Thai cooking. I would suggest after Thanksgiving-  Sunday 3rd December.

#17 JayT

JayT

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 19,865 posts
  • aka:Bunny Commander
  • (x7)
  • (x1)

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Well since its your thread, I say you make the rules.

#18 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,716 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

Well since its your thread, I say you make the rules.

I second that emotion.  You can specify which dishes we can choose from or open it up to any/all Thai food.  Voting would probably be easier if there are specific dishes to cook though.

Also might be best to have it open for a week or more in order to garner more entries as we're all getting busy with holidays looming.

Given time I'd love to contribute a dish - the tiger cry in particular as it's always been my fav.  We used to go to Opart Thai House quite often when I lived close and their tiger cry was most excellent.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests