• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mulch

I've been using these large woodchips from my landscaping as mulch, but I've been reading that can remove the Nitrogen.  I did a few searches and it seems like people say smaller wood chips or straw. I'd like to have something that could help retain the moisture. My plants get wilty on a near daily basis due to the heat. I also made the mistake of using fabric root pots that help with drainage, but that doesn't seem like the right pot in FL. What is the best mulch to use in my climate?
Thanks for any help.

They don't necessarily "remove" nitrogen but when you put wood chips or shavings down, the microorganisms responsible for breaking down the wood draw nitrogen from the soil to keep them alive during the decomposition process. This nitrogen loss is usually only noted in the top portion of soil though. Once those microorganisms start to die, the nitrogen is put back into the soil. If you're going to use wood chips you should supplement nitrogen during the process of decomposition.  

Edmick said:
They don't necessarily "remove" nitrogen but when you put wood chips or shavings down, the microorganisms responsible for breaking down the wood draw nitrogen from the soil to keep them alive during the decomposition process. This nitrogen loss is usually only noted in the top portion of soil though. Once those microorganisms start to die, the nitrogen is put back into the soil. If you're going to use wood chips you should supplement nitrogen during the process of decomposition.  

Chicken or Rabbit manure mixed in helps to offset the lack of nitrogen but if you're going to do it make sure the chicken manure is seasoned, the fresh stuff will burn your plants. Rabbit not so bad.

c4greene said:
I use fish emulsion every week or so but was wondering if thats just a waste because of the wood chips.
The loss of Nitrogen is a academic reality , but as Edmick said, the Nitrogen does not disappear suddenly , your plants will always be better off with good organic mulch.!

Back