• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Looking for peppers that taste like a camp fire

Hey Y'all,

Looking for peppers that would predominately have a smokey flavour (without smoking them).  I've heard chocolate peppers generally have more smokey tones, any suggestions?  Just starting to rock the world of hot peppers, man this pepper thang is bad@$$!

Shorerider said:
Why not smoke a pepper you already enjoy for that true smoked flavor?
^ this. It's very easy to smoke stuff. Even a brief hour in a weber kettle or one of the stove top smokers, finished by drying in the oven, will give it some great flavor.

As for vendors here, Joyner's hot peppers (heatmadesimple.com) has a wide variety of excellent smoked powders. Sicman also has great powders but I don't recall if they are smoked.

I live in a stacked town home, can't imagine what the neighbors would say if they saw smoke pumping off of the balcony.  Didn't realize there were stove top smokers.  I'll look into that.  Was also just curious to see which peppers would have a natural smoke flavour, wanted to see if I could bread a more smokey flavor with passing generations.  It seems like there are a million things that need to be done with hot peppers but no time to do it. 

I'll checkout the Jamacian Hot Chocolate pepper!  Just realized that our BBQ would probably work with a stove top smoker as it's a natural gas line.  Appreciate the ideas folks!  If you see smoke coming from my house, come over for dinner, not to put out a fire.  <3

Papyrus said:
I live in a stacked town home, can't imagine what the neighbors would say if they saw smoke pumping off of the balcony.  Didn't realize there were stove top smokers.  I'll look into that.  Was also just curious to see which peppers would have a natural smoke flavour, wanted to see if I could bread a more smokey flavor with passing generations.  It seems like there are a million things that need to be done with hot peppers but no time to do it. 

I'll checkout the Jamacian Hot Chocolate pepper!  Just realized that our BBQ would probably work with a stove top smoker as it's a natural gas line.  Appreciate the ideas folks!  If you see smoke coming from my house, come over for dinner, not to put out a fire.  <3

throw some woodchips on a cast iron pan or make a foil pouch with a few holes in it. Toss them on the grill. Will have the same effect. 

D3monic said:

throw some woodchips on a cast iron pan or make a foil pouch with a few holes in it. Toss them on the grill. Will have the same effect. 

Just a bit of water and woodchips in the pan and heat it up?  How hot should it be?

Your supermarket may even have chiptoles. :shocked: :D (dried or in adobo)

Back