• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Sausage season has begun

I got my new saugage stuffer delivered yesterday, so I pulled an all-nighter grinding, mixing, stuffing and smoking, and drinking beer of course:) The stuffer is just amazing, so I'm sure I'm going to be busy now for a few months.

Here's my new 15 Lb stuffer and 2 blends of sausage, 3 sizes.
2929663048_9dfb477fa8.jpg

And here they are after smoking

2931539838_8853472165.jpg

AlabamaJack said:
those look amazingly delicious Potawie...

and you are satisfied with your new stuffer?

Ya, I love it. I bought a cheap model last year and it is now just a paper weight. This new stuffer can do up to 15 Lbs of sausage in one filling.

pepperfever said:
They look so good, what kinds do you have there?

For these sausages I used pre-made seasonings that I purchased last year. I used a "summer sausage" mix and a "pepper sticks" mix which right now is my favorite, plus I always add some type of home-made chile powder. Even the "pepper sticks" mix in the large casing works very well and is becoming highly demanded by neighbors and friends. The summer sausage mix isn't as good as I had hoped
I forgot to mention that the sausages are made with venison, beef, and pork.

Potawie,

I'm ready to let my stuffed eggplants burn in the oven just to look at your pics.

What do you do - but the meat from a store or slaughterhouse and then mix it before making sausage?

You gonna post a basic recipe?

Mike

wordwiz said:
Potawie,

I'm ready to let my stuffed eggplants burn in the oven just to look at your pics.

What do you do - buy the meat from a store or slaughterhouse and then mix it before making sausage?

You gonna post a basic recipe?

Mike

I make a lot of venison sausage since I live in Whitetail country, and add about 20% pork. This time I used some home-made bacon for my fat/pork and also added some beef, but it was mostly last year's venison left overs, and it was all ground freshly at home.

Novacastrian said:
MMMMM sausage, can one use the traditional intestine as the casing with such an item?

I like the natural hog casings but they are harder for me to find and some places in the U.S. won't ship them here to Canada. The sheep casings I will never use again since they are so small and so impossible to fit on the stuffing tubes. The collagen casings aren't bad, I peel them off once the sausage cools.

what about the casing for smokeys?? will the sheep casing work for that? I've got ange the attachments and it will stuff the sausage...I have the old style stuffer that will grind the meat and later you change attachments and stuff the sausage,,,it has a large tube and a narrow tube..

I don't know how anyone uses sheep casings. They are so small which makes it nearly impossible to get an end open, and even then you'd need a very small diameter stuffing tube. I really wanted to make breakfast sausage and pepperoni sticks with natural casings, but its just a big hassle.
I used my grinder for stuffing many times, but the problem is that you have to re-grind the meat to stuff with it and this adds friction and heat and makes everything the same consistancy. Some good grinders have a spacer plate that lets the meat flow much easier than the course plate, but I've never tried it.

I like that stuffer my grinder makes you grind things twice really I want some texture like in an Andouille or Chorizo -- where did you get it? Im going to check Cabella's -- My buddy and I just made over 50lbs of Venison Brats -- great for tailgating

I have been making alot of jerky these days and have always wanted to get into sausage making.
I am not a hunter as I have a hard time killing things that don't piss me off but after it's dead I am ok with cutting grinding and whatever else I have to do to end up with sausage.

I find that jerky can be made with the cheapest cut of meat as long as it has little fat and sausage you want some fat so thats a plus when buying meat .

what should one spend on a stuffer like yours??

The one at Cabellas is 270 - 400 $US

Northern Industrial is 180 $US looks pretty nice --Looking at it its the same one as yours.

I'll be good till X-Mass and maybe just maybe....

No doubt it will.. I havent tried FrankFurters yet and Polish Kielbasa is on my list I have I probably will be making that in the next couple of weeks --
I am looking for something you have to get the "meatier" pieces in Andouille and the Chorizo's that I have had in the past :drooling: I have the kit to make snack sticks too

Yes sir Luckydog, snack stick are great, and I want to try a Chorizo soon too:P
BTW I've noticed that the price of natural casings and some other supplies has really jumped in the last year.

Back