• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Council of Grand Master Wizards Advice Required

Hello all,

New to the world of growing hot pepper for myself.  I've got a 3 year old Trinidad Scoprion Moruga that threw down a bumper crop this year.  I am planning on making a fermented hot sauce of out of them that will probably be ultra hot (just perfect!).  So I wanted to run my plans for this batch by you folks to get some perspective.  Basically from what I understand, dice, process and chop the hell out of them to make a pulp from them.  Add some garlic, onlion and maybe a carrot for sweetness.  Then finally introduce an existing lactobacillus culture (from home made kimchi I've got in the fridge). and watch the magic happen. 
Am I missing anything?  Any tips?  I'd like the consistency to be similar to that of Tobassco or Franks as I like the free flowing liquid over chunky sauce (for tequito binges). 

Thanks in advance and mind the spelling errors as I'm to lazy to spell check.

You all rock!

So I managed to process the morugas but the ferment didn't seem to start.  Introduced some homemade kimchi to it in an attempt to get it to ferment but i don't believe it's working as it's been 4 days.  Any suggestions on how to kick start it quick time?  Hoping I didn't just waste my entire haul of morugas because of making a n00b mistake.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Back