• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pepper X (not the) Naming Convention

I forget who or in what thread, but someone mentioned the naming convention of PepperName X where you do not know what the cross was to create the new pepper.  If you know the cross you write it PepperA x PepperB.  But if you do not know the other pepper (the daddy) you write it 'PepperA X'.  I thought it was a cool idea for notations and talking, but didn't know someone was using that format commercially.  Just found an instance where a Primo mama crossed with an unknown daddy and the result is being called Primo X.

I like the naming convention except for one thing.  I am sure by now there are thousands of Primo X peppers.

Thoughts?

http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Primo-X-Chile-Seeds-P5470908.aspx

AndyW said:
I believe I've seen a good amount of listing like this on whp.

In the gift trade and train realm have seen it expressed with "not" a lot.  Like "Not Ghost Pepper", but not "Ghost Pepper X".  But havent noted seed dealers going that route.  Nothing against it but it seems weird.

I'm not familiar with the "not" naming. Is it the same as the X notation, or is there some subtle difference? 

Would "Not a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia" be the same as "Chocolate Bhut Jolokia X". 

I think a not pepper is open to other surprises.  You get seeds labeled Pepper Whatever and one grows in an unexpected way.  It is most likely a Pepper X from an unintended cross but it could have been a seed stuck to your finger when you saved them from something else and counted them out.

I've thought of the nots as "I planted what was supposed to be a habanero, but it's not", whether it be a cross or completely different.

AndyW said:
I've thought of the nots as "I planted what was supposed to be a habanero, but it's not", whether it be a cross or completely different.

I think that is it exactly.  So an X pepper is a Not pepper but a Not pepper is not always an X pepper.  This is getting fun.

selling / marketing unstable peppers is dumb. anyone can have "not" or "x" cross as it is unstable it could be literally anything and no one would know the difference.

trying to standardize unstable / random crosses is a waste of time.

if/when you select a phenotype and  are in the process or have completed stabilizing it then it deserves a new unique name.
you should also state what that phenotype is and what makes it different from other peppers

juanitos said:
selling / marketing unstable peppers is dumb. anyone can have "not" or "x" cross as it is unstable it could be literally anything and no one would know the difference.

trying to standardize unstable / random crosses is a waste of time.

if/when you select a phenotype and  are in the process or have completed stabilizing it then it deserves a new unique name.
you should also state what that phenotype is and what makes it different from other peppers
I kind of agree with this, but I think people who just want a wildcard in their grow could appreciate unknown crosses/Xs. Especially if they'd rather have one from a parent they know that they like. Definitely shouldn't be bought expecting anything good though.

Back