• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper Shrub

A few years back the lady next door gave me a sandwich with a pepper I loved.  It was yellow and mild like a bell pepper.  So I planted the seed and got a shrub.  Currently it is 9 feet tall.  It has never given me a pepper.  Some times it flowers but no fruit.  I am going to try to post a picture.  Do any of you have any idea what kind of pepper plant this is?  Are there peppers that need another pepper of the same kind to fruit?

pepper plant 2.jpg

Thanks

Why not ask the lady who made the sandwich what was in it?  Seeds are commonly used as spice.  Think of things like dill seed, cardamon and the likes.  Who knows what she sprinkled on that bell pepper layer of the sandwich?  So lets toss out pepper for the moment and just go with plants.

There are definitely plants that want a cross pollinator.  I -think- the cross pollinator in most of those is a production enhancer.  I have baby apple trees that I planted with other variety because the instructions said it would improve production.  That is about as far as I go with that knowledge.

There are also plants that only produce in their second year.  I am a bit smarter here because i grow blackberry.  A branch comes up one year, does not flower or fruit that year.  Second year it fruits.  Third year it is dead.  I think true lavender is also like this.  No flowers first year.  How old is your plant?

rhapsody616 said:
Yes I am sure it is a pepper.  I pulled it from a sandwich she made.  And yes I asked her about the pepper but it has been 8 years and she did not remember.
Maybe get a pic of the plant at a better angle? I see a lot of different leaf types in that pic.

If I have understood correctly it's the plant on the left.

I'm not sure about the leaves. They don't look quite right to me but I can't swear they are not pepper leaves. What's more suspicious are the stems. In my experience pepper plants don't grow a bunch of long stems like that. They usually branch out more, especially if the plant is 9 feet tall.

That looks like stalks growing from the original rootstock the lemon tree was grafted on to me. Happens to me every year with my citrus trees and you need to cut them off to keep the lemon tree healthy. I have an old pear tree that died but the original rootstock grew new shoots so I let it grow to see what it was. It flowers every year but doesn't produce anything and the tree is about 15 years old. It's in my chicken yard so I left it for shade otherwise it would be gone.

Back