• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Most flavorful peppers?

I really like eating pods raw, so next year, I'll be focusing less on superhots and more on varieties that don't burn your face off and have good flavor.

So, what's your favorite flavorful pepper? Mine would either be habanero or yellow Nagabrains because I haven't actually tried too many different varieties yet.

Grow Aji Jobito! Most delicious pepper I grew this year. I liked Habanada a lot too, however they're SO sweet it's like a piece of candy. Don't leave them on the plant too long, pick them when they turn peachy. When they're a darker color they get sweeter, but they also get that grassy flavor. 

MikeUSMC said:
You say you want something that "won't burn your face off," but then list Nagabrains?! :shocked:

Your tolerance must be through the roof :rofl:

I was gonna say Manzanos, Bahamian Goats, and Chocolate Scotch Bonnets, lol

Haha. I grow some very sweet yellow naga brain strain. They're delicious and hot but not that hot. Of course, I may have a busted tolerance :fireball:  For me, a big one is just about the right size sliced up on a sandwich.

Attachments

• YNBS x4.jpg
    YNBS x4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 59
It is hard to go wrong with baccatums. Aji Pineapple, Brazilian Starfish, Sugar Rush Peach and Aji Habanero are all really good, just to name a few.

Carbonero has great flavor and a smooth burn at about orange hab heat level.

White Chupetinho has a very pleasant, clean white chinense taste and very low heat for a chinense.

Yellow Monkey Face is a very sweet-tasting pepper with good sized pods and a smooth, serrano level heat. Very nice for eating fresh, and it should be a really versatile one for cooking with as well.

Not yet mentioned is Pepperlover's Naranja Picante.
They really do have an nice orange flavor, and are on the hot side (for a baccatum). 
When cooking, they go great with Asian food, chicken, etc. 

Another PL favorite is Aji Cereza.  Taste is as advertised, sweet with a strong berry-ish (don't ask which, it's sort of indefinable) flavor.

peppamang said:
Sugar rush varieties are so good too!
I'm currently looking into a "Sugar Rush Vanilla" that's supposedly equally flavourful but also tastes like 2-3 million. Seems a wild claim but we'll see what happens.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'll second Lemondrops or their Aji Pineapple cousins, as well as any Orange Hab, be it nero or a nada. Cheyennes are pretty good and snacky, too.

The Yellow 7 Pot is an aromatic monster. In this day and age it gets little to no love but it ticks every box.

But pubescens and baccatums are my personal favorites for flavor. Not too many terrible ones in that bunch.

spicefreak said:
I'm currently looking into a "Sugar Rush Vanilla" that's supposedly equally flavourful but also tastes like 2-3 million. Seems a wild claim but we'll see what happens.
I can save you the time and effort if you want.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was surprised by the low heat of the Nagabrains too. I like them sliced up on a sandwich too.

I'll be sure to look into these varieties. I was thinking about trying out some baccatums and pubes next season anyway, so now I here even more reason.

wiriwiri said:
Cumari do Para is a small chinense but packs a bit of a  punch & quite flavorful..worth a try..its not over powering..also wild brazil..another
tiny pepper with a kick...not caustic to  one's GI track as some. ;)

These, really enjoy wild brazil. I'd like to add White bullet habanero to that list as well

Pr0digal_son said:
The Yellow 7 Pot is an aromatic monster. In this day and age it gets little to no love but it ticks every box.

But pubescens and baccatums are my personal favorites for flavor. Not too many terrible ones in that bunch.

I can save you the time and effort if you want.

I loved my yellow 7 pots (brainstrains), they have solid flavor and produced well enough for me. The baccatums are a real solid way to go for something that can produce a lot, have fantastic flavour and are mild enough to eat right off the plant. Bishops crown are one of my favorites at the moment.

Pr0digal_son said:

I was thinking it'd be too hot but I agree, it's tasty and not too dissimilar from the Lemondrop.

Back