• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Strange looking "habanero"

Any ideas what this might be?
At the store it was in the habanero basket, and no labels indicated that they where selling anything else, but it looks nothing like one.
It kinda looks like a bishops crown, but it felt hotter than I imagine 50 000 SHU would.

20171019_152347.jpg

I'm not an expert, but it may also be called these: "Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Red Pepper: Also known as Bahamian, Bahama Mama, Jamaican Hot, Martinique"

Others will chime in. :)

What Hot Pepper said, but want to add that the store was not wrong.  Habanero is a HUGE category.  For what ever reason, when folk think hab they think about the orange / yellow ones you find in the grocery store for a few bucks a pound.  The one you have there is very well sought after, so you got lucky.  Seriously, the number of times I purchased Scotch Bonnet seeds only to get the normal grocery store shape is unreal.

Example of the diversity: Was trying to collect black peppers to go with orange for a Halloween thing.  Ordered in Large Black Habanero seeds.  Got brown, which is kind of normal when they say black, but large doesn't describe the things.  They are frigging huge.  Huge like wont fit in a flat rate box huge.  Not as large as a bell, but damn close to some of the smaller bells.  Now on a how big can a habanero grow kick.

Great info there AJ Drew. I just recently started eating chilis, besides the usual pickled jalapenos and have also bought seeds and planted a few varieties. So I'm eager to learn about them.
While I wait for my own plants I have to rely on whatever the store has, and that's usually "ordinary" Red Habanero, Jalapenos. And the odd box of Reapers and Ghost Peppers, which sadly are of poor quality.
I picked up three of these Scotch Bonnets today, and will definitely save some of the seeds.
They had more of them so might have to go back tomorrow.
The one in the pic here is with the Habanero I usually find there

Attachments

• 20171019_153043.jpg
    20171019_153043.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 60
Back