• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Swamptrout's 2017/2018 vegepod glog

Living in QLD we get hot humid summers and mild winters. After seeing a friend's vegepod i bought myself one to try and grow my peppers all year round without the need to overwinter.

I planted my first batch of seeds 4 months ago (mid winter) and these grew quickly and were transferred to pots to grow out.

A new batch was planted 5 or 6 weeks ago and are 4-5 inches. Some are smaller.

Most are grown and shared with family and friends. I have white ghost, 7 pot choc, choc habs, white peruvian habs, fatali, primotali, apocalypse red, yellow reaper, carolina reaper, moruga scorpion, rocoto manzano red, thai red, capsicum & cayenne.

Attachments

• 20171031_115422.jpg
    20171031_115422.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 74
Thx tbg, your glog motivated me to start this one. I am a follower .

My first season with the vegepod but i put seeds down in August with good success and i expect the season to go in to april. So guessing i will get 8 months. This might be wishful thinking though. We'll see.

Swamptrout said:
Thx tbg, your glog motivated me to start this one. I am a follower .

My first season with the vegepod but i put seeds down in August with good success and i expect the season to go in to april. So guessing i will get 8 months. This might be wishful thinking though. We'll see.

Ah wow, I'm honoured! :D

Should be interesting how the vegepod goes, looks like a cool contraption...

I have my first pods for the spring growing. All plants have a ton of flowers or buds. Hoping for a higher production i helped nature with pollination. Fingers crossed. Good sign i saw a few bees floating around the plants today. Weather has been hot this last week after torrential rain the week before.

20171105_171159.jpg
20171105_171233.jpg

New seeds arrived today however the seeds werent seeds at all. They were adolescent plants, so they will be right til the weekend when i transplant in to bigger pots. I reckon i Might see some pods this season. This will be good as i lost a bunch of plants from a 10 minute hail storm on monday afternoon.

In the last 2 weeks since my last update it has been quite eventful. It literally hasnt stopped raining, i had a pest outbreak (now sorted), i had a fungus problem (sorted) and i started making AACT & seaweed combo. The plants are looking the healthiest they have with bulk new growth but I would love a bit of sun and warmth to start ripening the pods.

Interestingly the bureau of meteorology only announced today that La Niña is coming for the Aussie Summer

Question about pest treatment using neem, do people treat or prevent?

Swamptrout said:
In the last 2 weeks since my last update it has been quite eventful. It literally hasnt stopped raining, i had a pest outbreak (now sorted), i had a fungus problem (sorted) and i started making AACT & seaweed combo. The plants are looking the healthiest they have with bulk new growth but I would love a bit of sun and warmth to start ripening the pods.
Since this post i have had 4 hot humid days in a row and everything is going well, still not summer yet. Still no sign of pests. I have a bunch of native bees hanging around and most of the plants now have a resident spider keeping guard.

My primo x fatali now has 22 full size pods on it and the other plants also have pods coming along.

Heres a pod pic for those who like em.

20171126_112324.jpg

Swamptrout said:
I have white ghost, 7 pot choc, choc habs, white peruvian habs, fatali, primotali, apocalypse red, yellow reaper, carolina reaper, moruga scorpion, rocoto manzano red, thai red, capsicum & cayenne.
Time to update list .

Yellow reaper, white ghost, apocalypse red, fatali, thai red, manzano red gone.

Pink tiger, red mushroom, african birds eye, yellow 7 pot, primo added

Plants are looking healthy!

Down here, I think summer hit this week, everyday has been high 20's, pushing on low 30's. Had to move everyone out of the greenhouse bcos temps were too high, even with door open. Even had a few "cold" rainy days this week, and temps barely dropped. Hopefully the weather sorts itself out for you up north!

Swamptrout said:
Question about pest treatment using neem, do people treat or prevent?

Just use it at the first sign of insect problems.

Or when the infestation looks like it's not abating
is to use insecticidal soap, followed in a couple of
days by a Neem application.

I assume those are Primotali pods?

Back