• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Thanksgiving Cranberry Hot Sauce Recipe Request

Hello all,
   I am trying to make a sauce for use on turkey for thanksgiving. I am hoping to have high heat. I just got one of pepperbymail's mysterbox, so I have some superhots I would like to make into a tasty sauce. I have found some blueberry/raspberry recipes. but I am looking more for cranberry centered sauces. I am pretty sure I have some chocolate ghosts, some maruga scorpions and some 7 pot chocolates. Any ideas would be much appreciated! 
Thanks, 
Stabz

A bag of cranberries.
Put in a sauce pan with a little water, and agave syrup or honey.
Squeeze the juice of one orange, squeeze of lemon half, and the zest of both.
Diced peppers of choice.
Cook down until thick. May need to add water once.
Refrigerate.

I don't use regular sugar, for me, turns out better this way. Sweet and tart, and more like marmalade than jelly.

Can also add triple sec. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
A bag of cranberries.
Put in a sauce pan with a little water, and agave syrup or honey.
Squeeze the juice of one orange, squeeze of lemon half, and the zest of both.
Diced peppers of choice.
Cook down until thick. May need to add water once.
Refrigerate.

I don't use regular sugar, for me, turns out better this way. Sweet and tart, and more like marmalade than jelly.

Can also add triple sec. ;)
This sounds pretty good for an immediate use! I may have to try it :)  but I am assuming I would have to alter it quite a bit for a sauce I can bottle and give to friends. That is more of what I am looking for. Thank you for the reply! Tripple sec sounds like it would be super tasty with that... yumm

use balsamic vinegar in the above recipe....has a bit higher acidity and sweeter and mellower flavor than white or ACV.  Onions yes, no garlic unless it's roasted garlic.  Roasted would work...I don't think the fresh/raw garlic flavor would suit. 

Here's one we've done in a couple hot sauce classes I've hosted.  Based on a fermented recipe from Rocketman.

[SIZE=medium]Pumpkin Hot Sauce- Hot[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 can Pumpkin (~2 pounds)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5 # fresh red Peppers (Fresno, the generic red chiles from the supermarket)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 bags Dried Cranberries (sweetened Craisins)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]10 oz Sweet Onion [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4 oz Garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6-8 leaves of Fresh Sage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2 cups balsamic vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 tsp Sea salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Beer &/or wine to cover[/SIZE]

This turned out fairly thick, we had to use a good bit of wine/beer to thin it out.  One time we used white wine, another time it was a good hearty dark beer.  

You could use a couple of red bell peppers for some bulk and whatever hot peppers you want.  Follow the usual cook/blend/heat/hotfill-hold~~~

Have Fun!
SL

We've been making this for almost 10 years, it is FANTASTIC. I would not skip the chipotle unless you have other smoked peppers, but you could easily add additional hot peppers for more heat.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chipotle-cranberry-sauce

Edited to add: It is especially wonderful on a fried turkey (hit with some Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning) or a smoked turkey (which my grandfather has been doing on the Weber kettle for 40 years).

3/4 Cranberries, 1/4 Blueberries, honey to sweeten, best combo ive come across, add heat as required. ( I also add vanilla bean but thats personal taste).

Also cloves are great for a little unique taste (allspice too)...

20180926_102057.jpg

Is this a good wine to use? I'm not much of a drinker, received this as a gift

Back