•  

Photo

How to dry out hot peppers so you can same them for later??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,755 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'll pick the pepper and a bit of stem comes with it.  Your choice to dry it with the stem or not - I usually pull stems from anything going straight to the dehydrator and leave em stem on if I'm going to smoke or roast them first.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 jwmghf

jwmghf

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Smokin' Hot!!! They're drying right now.  Maybe one more hour and they should be done.

Any particular way of storing them for future use??

#23 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 42,164 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Glasses are a good idea too.

You havent lived until you get a seed in the eye. :rofl:

Scovie, how's the eye bud? This post seemed a bit prophetic... 

You'll turn a three hand job into a one hand sausage cranking, one hand sausage guiding machine.

#24 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,755 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Thanks Smokin' Hot!!! They're drying right now.  Maybe one more hour and they should be done.

Any particular way of storing them for future use??

Once dried I put stuff that will be used soon in a ziplock.  Stuff I want to keep whole/dried will get put into individual mason jars by type.  :)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#25 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Once they're dried, you don't have to do anything else to keep them forever.

Keep them dry.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#26 Oleic

Oleic

Mild

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

My first year really successfully growing super hots, just did a Fatali and Bhut.  Hydroponic (outdoors) really worked well for our 100+ degree summer days.  Tried drying the peppers in an unheated room (low humidity area) but it was taking forever, so I have them in the dehydrator now @ 105 F.  Bedroom smells SO good!  Here are a couple pics from last night before tossing them in the dehydrator (a few Aji habs in there too).  Next year will be drying many more varieties!

3swhvHs.jpgwbZwQvc.jpg

#27 ThatBlondGuy101

ThatBlondGuy101

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • aka:TBG
  • Location:21st Highest Town In Australia. (AKA a cold place kinda near Sydney)

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:38 AM

Quick question on the oven method of drying, does it tend to fill the house with noxious gases? i.e. the house basically fills with pepper spray?

I'd give this method a go, but I am concerned about my family getting capsaicin'd LOL.
"When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round." - Happily Married Chilli Addict

#28 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

Yes, oven method  fills the house with pepper spray. I couldn't breathe nor could my wife.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#29 ThatBlondGuy101

ThatBlondGuy101

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • aka:TBG
  • Location:21st Highest Town In Australia. (AKA a cold place kinda near Sydney)

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Yes, oven method  fills the house with pepper spray. I couldn't breathe nor could my wife.

Cheers! Does it linger much? What can you do to get rid of it?

"When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round." - Happily Married Chilli Addict

#30 Spokanepepperman

Spokanepepperman

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • aka:The Scorpion

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

When I do mine in the oven at 125° it doesn't gas out my house maybe it's because it such a low temp but not all ovens go that low I guess.

#31 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

Cheers! Does it linger much? What can you do to get rid of it?

I didn't measure the lingering,l I turned on the exhaust fan and we left the house.

I was drying out some  Xalapeño chipotle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests