•  

Photo

How to dry out hot peppers so you can same them for later??

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,109 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

I'll pick the pepper and a bit of stem comes with it.  Your choice to dry it with the stem or not - I usually pull stems from anything going straight to the dehydrator and leave em stem on if I'm going to smoke or roast them first.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 jwmghf

jwmghf

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Smokin' Hot!!! They're drying right now.  Maybe one more hour and they should be done.

Any particular way of storing them for future use??

#23 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,574 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:33 PM

Glasses are a good idea too.

You havent lived until you get a seed in the eye. :rofl:

Scovie, how's the eye bud? This post seemed a bit prophetic... 

#24 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,109 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

Thanks Smokin' Hot!!! They're drying right now.  Maybe one more hour and they should be done.

Any particular way of storing them for future use??

Once dried I put stuff that will be used soon in a ziplock.  Stuff I want to keep whole/dried will get put into individual mason jars by type.  :)

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#25 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:26 AM

Once they're dried, you don't have to do anything else to keep them forever.

Keep them dry.

Santa Maria Ahuacatitlan, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#26 Oleic

Oleic

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

My first year really successfully growing super hots, just did a Fatali and Bhut.  Hydroponic (outdoors) really worked well for our 100+ degree summer days.  Tried drying the peppers in an unheated room (low humidity area) but it was taking forever, so I have them in the dehydrator now @ 105 F.  Bedroom smells SO good!  Here are a couple pics from last night before tossing them in the dehydrator (a few Aji habs in there too).  Next year will be drying many more varieties!

3swhvHs.jpgwbZwQvc.jpg

#27 ThatBlondGuy101

ThatBlondGuy101

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • aka:TBG
  • Location:21st Highest Town In Australia. (AKA a cold place kinda near Sydney)

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:38 AM

Quick question on the oven method of drying, does it tend to fill the house with noxious gases? i.e. the house basically fills with pepper spray?

I'd give this method a go, but I am concerned about my family getting capsaicin'd LOL.
"When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round." - Happily Married Chilli Addict

#28 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

Yes, oven method  fills the house with pepper spray. I couldn't breathe nor could my wife.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

#29 ThatBlondGuy101

ThatBlondGuy101

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • aka:TBG
  • Location:21st Highest Town In Australia. (AKA a cold place kinda near Sydney)

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Yes, oven method  fills the house with pepper spray. I couldn't breathe nor could my wife.

Cheers! Does it linger much? What can you do to get rid of it?

"When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round." - Happily Married Chilli Addict

#30 Spokanepepperman

Spokanepepperman

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • aka:The Scorpion

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:36 AM

When I do mine in the oven at 125° it doesn't gas out my house maybe it's because it such a low temp but not all ovens go that low I guess.

#31 willard3

willard3

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

Cheers! Does it linger much? What can you do to get rid of it?

I didn't measure the lingering,l I turned on the exhaust fan and we left the house.

I was drying out some  Xalapeño chipotle.

#32 labuyo

labuyo

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

I sun dry my peppers, comes out great too.

#33 Muckyai

Muckyai

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Using my dehydrator in the house was capsaicining me.. I don't want to know how bad it must get using the oven. Had to move the dehydrator to the garage. Worked great though.. left with vibrant colored, bone dry peppers

#34 Chilidude

Chilidude

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • aka:Mr. chili, Mr. tester man.

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Many years ago i tried that string drying for thin fleshed chilis, works great in a warm place.

#35 jhc

jhc

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

I had some extra reapers and ghosts... put them in the freezer. No fumes and I'm guessing they're good for a long time, if not forever. But even dried chiles don't last forever.

#36 SeaDuds

SeaDuds

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

When I've dehydrated indoors in the past I've used a spare room and stuck a towel under the door... reminded me of college. 

#37 Chilidude

Chilidude

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • aka:Mr. chili, Mr. tester man.

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:31 AM

I have many times cutted the chilis in half and smoked them in a cold smoker and layed them to dry in a tray with the cut up flesh up, they will dry up pretty fast and will be hard pressed to gather any mold because the cold smoking. After drying them up you can make some nice cold smoked powder.

You can cut up the fresh non cold smoked in a similar fashion to a maybe four halves to make them dry up a bit faster but not too fast, because drying up too fast ruins the taste of the chili.

Edited by Chilidude, 30 January 2018 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests