• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting leaves drooping before lights out

I run the light from 6am to midnight, and by 8pm the leaves on the two Thai hybrids are drooping down, but are perked back up again in the morning. The habanero's just seem super happy all the time. I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that they originate in a region that has around 12 hours of light year round.

8pm last night.
DSCF0033.JPG

6:30am this morning
DSCF0034.JPG

I wasn't too worried about the plants, more that I way curious how common it is, and what varieties it shows up in. The early jalapeno's i grew in the garden last summer had droopy leaves 24/7.

could be that the temp in the room would be at its peak temps during the 12-18 hours of light and its a bit warm for them, or to much direct light like on the real hot,bright summer days.
just my 0.02

I doubt its the heat, they're in a thermostatically controlled area. The temp stays between 74 and 76 degrees as the heater cycles on and off, about a 12 minute cycle. The thermostat sensor is between the plants and just above canopy height, so the light is hitting it. The humidity still fluctuates with the cheap humidifier, but I've noticed the same effect regardless of the humidity. It'll be interesting to see if they still do it when they get bigger.

Well I agree that this isn't a problem and the plants looks fine (except that the leaves are blurple... could be rare disease).

As for the droop, I'd be betting that it's the intensity of the light.  They are drooping because they're getting a whole bunch of light after a while, and the roots may not be developed enough to keep the photosynthesis engine running. The leaves are trying to escape the light. Then in the morning the leaves are "perked" because there isn't any light in the darkness.... errr... yah.

That's my bet. No more than a dollar though !

Jeff

Some people seem to think it can't be too much light when "it's only a 36 true watt led" according to opinions from some "professional growers" that I had consulted. I now have the humidity stabilized between 50-55%. The light does have 255 0.2 watt LED's that are WAY more efficient than even 1 watt LED's. I think it has to do more with the variety.

Back