• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

what to do with my left overs

ok so I pured 4 ghost peppers and added it to one dried reeper and two canned chipotles and blended it with chicken stock to add to my chili.  And holy crap 4 raw ghost peppers are hotter than 4 dried from amazon. only used about half of the puree in the chili. and the chili is already to hot.  

Question.  what can I add to the left over puree to make a hot sauce that I would normally find in the pantry.  if I just added half left over onion, fresh garlic and tomato paste would it taste fair.  and I assure I would have to cook as well. sorry haven't researched making sauce. only researched fermenting

Thanks 
Rabbit

Rabbit91476 said:
ok so I pured 4 ghost peppers and added it to one dried reeper and two canned chipotles and blended it with chicken stock to add to my chili.  And holy crap 4 raw ghost peppers are hotter than 4 dried from amazon. only used about half of the puree in the chili. and the chili is already to hot.  

Question.  what can I add to the left over puree to make a hot sauce that I would normally find in the pantry.  if I just added half left over onion, fresh garlic and tomato paste would it taste fair.  and I assure I would have to cook as well. sorry haven't researched making sauce. only researched fermenting

Thanks 
Rabbit

Yeah you've got some straight lava there my friend.  If you add onion/garlic/tomato paste you'd likely pull up with a good start on some hot sauce.  I'd suggest adding some vinegar and some sweet bells to acidify and bulk up the sauce though.  For the amount you're talking about I'd suggest at least 3-4 sweet bells and around 1 cup of vinegar.  Try adding a bit at a time and then tasting until you like what you've got.

Cook it all down in a pan with a lid (simmer for a bit to get flavors to marry) and then into a mason jar you can keep in the fridge.  You can add it to future batches of chili, marinara, etc.  

Best of luck Rabbit 91476!   :)

Back