• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum The Jalapeno List

There are likely thousands of jalapeno variety, but lets see if we can come up with a list of the truly unique and what makes them unique.

Farmers / Potato - Because there appearance is almost pure cork.
Biker Billy - If it is not the hottest jalapeno, it has to be up there.
Purple Jalapeno - Cause it is purple

Lets see how large of a list we can get.  Is there a white or yellow jalapeno?

AJ Drew said:
 Is there a white or yellow jalapeno?

have grown a yellow Jalapeno, was mild, but quite tasty in green or yellow stage
(I might still have a few seeds, will check and see) 

also i will be growing a couple of the numex jalapeno like peppers; Lemon Spice, and Pumpkin Spice, the couple that i got a chance to try had decent heat !

some more info on those:
https://cpi.nmsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2016/07/SpiceJals.pdf

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

have grown a yellow Jalapeno, was mild, but quite tasty in green or yellow stage
(I might still have a few seeds, will check and see) 

I too have grown yellow jalapeno.  Was a good prolific plant, maybe 3' x 3' or a bit larger when mature.  Ripe fruit was kinda soft, something I didn't expect from a jalapeno.  Excellent flavor, decent heat. 

I noticed a short/stocky one a few seasons ago and I've grown the seeds from it for two seasons now. I call it my "chode jalapeño" lol. 

IMG_4873.JPG

BlackFatalii said:
NuMex Pinata. The multicolored Jalapeno. It has a sweet flavor, and it is pretty mild even for a Jalapeno.

I grew this out 2 years ago - didn't even remember it till your post!  I liked it - the aji omnicolor of jalas.  :)

I keep seeing the ¨Conchos¨ Jalapeños on lists; I´m kinda tempted by those.

I´m really stoked to be growing Zapotec Jalapeños in 2018; got the seeds from Windchicken (thanks...!)  I´m also planning to grow the NuMex Vaquero, which is supposed to be on the hotter side of the Jalapeño range (@30,000 SHU) and disease-resistant.  I´m hoping for an interesting showdown between a trditional landrace strain (the Zap) and s high-tec, College-boy hybrid (the Vaquero)... see how i feel throughout the grow, and especially what i take away (if anything) at the end of the season.

I really dig it that so many members are not completely hung up on super hots.  Nothing wrong with that interest, just that for a time it seemed like nobody wanted to talk about anything else.  This past year, I was diggin on some aji big time.

Back