Hello from Northern Califonia

[SIZE=12pt]Hello all,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]I am in Northern California near Redding.  I started growing peppers this past season at the instigation of one of my nephews.  He came to stay with us the summer before last.  (He’s a city boy and we currently live in the county.)  We were at a local farmers market and there were some chilies for sale.  He said he could eat a whole habanero with no problem. I told him that if he could eat one without choking or tearing up I would grow some for next year so he could have them if he came up again to visit us next summer. Of course he choked and teared up after eating just one. (Ah, the bravura of a 14 year-old.)  The world moves in mysterious ways and at the beginning of this year our nephew became our legal ward.   I kept my side of the bargain and during the spring we started growing the following peppers:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shishito[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Trinidad Perfume[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Chilhuacle Rojo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Chimayo[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Serrano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Rocoto[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Pilange[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Aji Cito[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Brazilian Starfish[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Malagueta[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Wiri Wiri[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Habanero [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Chocolate Habanero[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I tried to get a mix of heat and species.  We only got a few peppers because of the extreme temperature swings here this past year (killing frost the last week of March and 100+ degrees by early May).  All the plants are now in a greenhouse so we can overwinter them. I hope to have an abundant crop next year.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I have been lurking here for a few weeks and have already learned much.  I hope that in the future I can add to the knowledge.[/SIZE]

Back