•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Time to Relight

LED CFL growrage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 15,790 posts
  • aka:AJ
  • (x2)

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:17 AM

I am getting the fever again and am wanting to upgrade my lighting for my "growrage".

The germinator is fine the way it is.  

The grow box is what I am wanting to update...

Currently, I have 18 42 watt CFLs which equals 756 watts (power consumption) that are 6500K color temperature for vegetative growth.

01-17-12a010.JPG

What light/lights (LED) should I replace the CFLs with. 

The dimensions of the grow box is 4' square and 6 feet tall inside with the CFLs mounted on 6 light vanity fixtures and the height of the light bars is adjustable.

I would also like to upgrade my "slow grow" area from standard 40 watt shop light fixtures.  There are three 8 foot shelves with 6 shoplights (12 40 watt bulbs per shelf)

011311a002.JPG

any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AJ

Edited by AlabamaJack, 10 November 2017 - 08:37 AM.

AJ
"If people will learn to "listen" to their plants, they will tell you what they want". AlabamaJack

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 JayT

JayT

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 19,841 posts
  • aka:Bunny Commander
  • (x7)
  • (x1)

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

I knew one day you would come home old friend.

#3 salsalady

salsalady

On Fire!

• Extreme Biz
  • 13,107 posts
  • aka:SL, HSL
  • (x8)

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:09 PM

Great to see you getting back in the mix.

LEDs are available in pretty much all spectrums, including grow light types. Look into those. They might have higher lumens and might be able to use bulbs in every other socket.

XO, Ronnie
SL

PureEvilProducts

The Chile Addict's prayer-"Lord, grant me the wisdom to know it will be too hot, the courage to eat it anyway, and the serenity to accept the pain that follows. Amen"

PepperPeopleRock! 

#4 karoo

karoo

Hot

• Extreme
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

great setup!

I like the big thermometre

#5 juanitos

juanitos

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

i would get a 315w CMH light for your growbox.

can get the cheap wing reflector package. or a higher tech one.

at 315 watts it will halve your power consumption. provide better growing spectrum and is easier to manage just 1 fixture.

----

for your shelf grow system i would advise that led strips are good and cheap but you would need something to mount them to.

if you give up the adjustable height you can just mount then to the shelves directly with zipties

here you can see my setup with the led strips. and can see next vid after that to see plants do grow fine under them.

this solution is a bit more diy as you have to wire the strips a little and mount them yourself.

or they have updated standard shoplights to led see homedepot / lowes if you want to use them.

juanitospeppers.com 2017 fresh seeds in stock by thanksgiving.

#6 MNXR250R

MNXR250R

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

I've had good success with the 315W LEC.  Awesome growth on the peppers I have under them !  Stunning growth actually !!  The fixture that I have doesn't have the best canopy penetration though, so I use two fixtures.

Then there are the T5 fixtures (HO fluorescents).  The fixtures are great for seedlings and early growth.... Easy to use and doesn't overheat those sensitive little plants :)

But to be fair, LED is the future of lighting. It's difficult to cut through the specifications of some lamps though. Look for PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation)  and PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) ratings. Don't buy an LED based strictly on WATTS.  Just because it's bright doesn't mean a plant will respond to it.

Good luck to ya !

Jeff

#7 AlabamaJack

AlabamaJack

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 15,790 posts
  • aka:AJ
  • (x2)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:23 AM

thank you for your responses...

I really want to relight with LEDs....they are expensive but will pay for themselves over time with the savings on the electricity bill

AJ

AJ
"If people will learn to "listen" to their plants, they will tell you what they want". AlabamaJack

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LED, CFL, growrage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests