• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Soil Dired Out, Are Seeds Now Dead?

Hi,
I put 4 Habanero seeds in dirt, but forgot to keep the soil wet and it was dry for about 2 days. Are these seeds now ruined?
Also how long does Habanero seeds take to sprout? I planted them on October 31th and is now November 10th.

Thanks in advance.

Depends if the growing medium fully dried out. If it was bone dry all the way to the bottom, and the seed had already started growing underground, then yes, it is definitely dead. However it could still be alive and 10 days isn't long enough for a seed to germinate especially habs. I'd start some more to be safe, and give the ones you already have another week and see if they pop. If not, toss them and rely on your new ones. Good luck

^
This. Also, are you using a heat mat or other means to warm the soil? If you are germinating in "cold" soil at room temperature, it will likely take a little while longer than with a heat mat.

The soil was completely dried out, but I looked at the seeds and they don't have any shouts. Two are cracked open slightly at the top, but nothing yet. I'll put a couple seeds in some damp paper towels just as a backup.
Also, the seeds are on the edge of a small table that has a baseboard heater beneath it.

Thanks again.

What Blackfatalii said about heat is even more so this time of the year.  Our house is probably 65 degrees on most nights.  For really special seeds, I use a chicken egg incubator at about 95 degrees.  Most others germinate in heated trays, kind of like using those mats. 

But gotta question why you dont just start again?  You only lost ten days.

Back