• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sweet-Spicy Duck Recipe Anyone?

I have 4 duck halves and want a sweet & spicy glaze recipe.  I was thinking of putting orange juice, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, and peppers and just simmering for a glaze?  Anyone have a recipe they've actually tried?  

Also, how do I even cook duck halves?  First timer over here.

I would suggest apricot as the fruit (or peach if you can't get), and create a sweet spicy glaze with rice vinegar as well to add some tanginess. Sugar, hot peppers, etc. Using fresh fruit cooked down will create a better glaze than juice, and apricot goes better with duck than orange imo.

Some orange rind/zest would play nice though!

duck is often so fatty, that low and slow is the way to go. This recipe probably won't be for you because it requires a sous vide, and to dissemble the duck, but maybe you can finagle it and make it your own. I like to buy a small can of masaman curry paste from any asian store. The deboned duck breast is the best part, but the idea is to rub the paste on the skin and the meat, then i bag it and sous vide it low and slow. Afterwards, I sear the skin in some neutral oil like canola oil to get it nice and crispy. The duck breast is so tender and the fat has been reduced away, slices up nicely especially with that crispy skin.

To comment on your recipe, I would suggest injecting the meat, then cooking in the oven low and slow. The last 30 minutes of cooking, crank up the heat and baste the skin every 5 minutes. Don't brine the duck, it's too gamy and the salt won't penetrate the fat very well. 

alternative for duck I like, is just roasting the damn thing then putting it in a thai curry afterwards

Plum Sauce :D
41J4Y5cVSoL.jpg

+1 on the plum sauce. That stuff is amazing. They also sell one at the Chinese markets that simply says "duck sauce" on the label. I think its very similar to the plum sauce but it has a couple other fruits like apricots, peaches, pineapple, and chili pepper in it.

Basically any stone fruit sauce would be good.

Make sure you save the rendered duck fat drippings too. You can use it for cooking other stuff in the future.

Won't be enuf for fries but how about a duck hash with duck, taters, n peppers in duck fat!

That plum sauce sounds good with a little birdeye coarsely chopped so its easy to strain out and a dash of Chinese rice wine. Maybe additional soy sauce and fresh ginger also. Combine it all in a pan and bring it upto a low simmer just to incorporate the flavors. While its still warm and flowing run it through a strainer.

To help with color, you could sprinkle some sugar on the skin. Let is rest for a couple hours. Then rub soy sauce on the skin and put it skin side down (in a dish or bag) on some soy sauce over night in the fridge. That might be enough for it to bake to a nice reddish brown before adding any glaze near the end..

Back