• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Green Jalapeno Fermented Sauce Adjustments

Good morning. I finished, and even bottled my slowly fermented jalapeno sauce. It has a lot of garlic, dist ving, cumin, onion powder, and obviously salt in it. A bit of gum too.

This morning I cracked a bottle open...

1.the sauce is a little thicker than needed.
2. the sauce is missing on flavor. I taste garlic, some fermented jalap, some spice & vinegar. Nothing interesting. Heat is mild, but I planned it that way.

What would you do?
Pineapple(juice)? Or more vinegar/water, some superhots, filter and bottle tabasco style?

P.S. pH is 3.2

Attachments

• 20171115_211714.jpg
    20171115_211714.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 73
karoo said:
If you want to keep it smooth and mild and keep the "green taste " , skip the fruits and superhots.
I always add smoked ingredients to green sauces and Thyme.

Thanks karoo!
I just want to save the sauce.
The flavor is too garlicky to keep it just "green" I think.
Maybe some chipotles or smoked paprika might help.

My green sauce is similar to yours, but I add  a couple TBLS of Dijon mustard.

You already have the ph at a safe level.......just add water to thin it if needed.

also flavors change slightly as it first ages......give it a couple weeks and give it another taste test, some of the over powering garlic might tone down a bit.

If its a little thicken than intended it's probably too much gum.  

I'd suggest try adding a bit more salt before you experiment with anything else.  Sometimes a little more salt will bring out more of the flavor or make it "pop".  

portveyn said:
Good morning. I finished, and even bottled my slowly fermented jalapeno sauce. It has a lot of garlic, dist ving, cumin, onion powder, and obviously salt in it. A bit of gum too.

This morning I cracked a bottle open...

1.the sauce is a little thicker than needed.
2. the sauce is missing on flavor. I taste garlic, some fermented jalap, some spice & vinegar. Nothing interesting. Heat is mild, but I planned it that way.

What would you do?
Pineapple(juice)? Or more vinegar/water, some superhots, filter and bottle tabasco style?

P.S. pH is 3.2
Try some kiwi and apple juice mix oh and I add cilantro to mine.

Wondering how long it sat before you tasted it. 3 weeks at least for proper flavor melding. Garlic is one of the things that should mellow.

Back