• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pork Ribeye

Made some giant pork ribeyes with sweet chili sauce and cranberry vinaigrette marinade. Cooked in cast iron with a side of king oyster mushrooms and caramelized onions. Rubbed them with some Hawaiian sea salt and brown sugar to get a nice crust. Also added some chili flakes to the mushrooms for a little kick.

Ashen said:
Looks awesome. Glad there was a bit of fatcap on there still. Grocery stores and butchers tend to trim the life out of pork these days
Yea i'm always on the fence about pork.

Scoville DeVille said:
Me too. There's no way to properly cook a pork chop that's only ⅜" thick. IMO
Hell no. That's what pisses me off about grocery stores. People see a reasonable price on a nice piece of meat without realizing it's paper thin and virtually impossible to get a nice crust on it without overcooking it. Meat that thin should be priced the same as a roll of toilet paper.. Cuz that's pretty much all it's good for.

Hells Kitchen said:
Oh man I bet it tasted better than it looks 
It was pretty good. Juicy and tender which always seems so difficult to do with pork. I usually avoid pork for that reason. A good pocket thermometer is your best friend. I also spooned hot butter and herbs over it during the sear so that helps too.

Looks awesome.  The key to pork is to take it the hell off the heat.  Its ok now if its a tiny bit pink.  You got it right by marinating it.  Brining works too.

I like my pOrk cooked all the way through. Maybe if i raised the pig I would try a medium chop, but I have always ate pork cooked all the way through like chicken

The problem I've always had with serving pork a little pink is that even if I know it is fine, no one else will eat it.  My wife still examines pork with a fine-toothed comb before eating, and if there is a shred of pink, into the microwave (ugh) it goes.

Greg H said:
The problem I've always had with serving pork a little pink is that even if I know it is fine, no one else will eat it.  My wife still examines pork with a fine-toothed comb before eating, and if there is a shred of pink, into the microwave (ugh) it goes.
I cooked it to exactly 145 internal temp and there was no pink at all but it was still juicy and tender.

Take them thin chops and brown them in a cast iron pan. Wisk up the browned bits in the pan with a little water when done. Dump in a can of cream of mushroom soup and cook the pork until they are falling apart.

Best way ever to prepare "over cooked" pork chops. The gravy it makes is awesome on mashed taters.

When I bbq pork and the ends are cooked too much I save them and make chili with it. I use any leftovers too. Chili is a good way to use leftover meat.

Thin pork chops need CI or a flat top and they can be awesome, if you get behind the idea that you can pretty much only get a hard sear on one side.      

Ashen said:
Thin pork chops need CI or a flat top and they can be awesome, if you get behind the idea that you can pretty much only get a hard sear on one side.      
Yup. Maybe with a high end commercial cooker that puts out some serious heat but certainly not with the average everyday household stove.

depends on how you game it.  emissivity and thermal loading.    ( To bad G isn't here, he would lose a load talking about this shite. lol) 

preheat a thick CI comal in a household oven at max temp for about 25 mins.   

then put it on the range top at medhigh and drop those thin chops and  they will hard sear in about a min on one side , flip and finish on other side for another min or so.  

Back