#1 b3rnd

b3rnd

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:35 AM

Hey people!

Some time ago I saw this post on reddit about a very peculiar pepper. It was half green, half white, split in the middle. The leaves were too. I told the guy to post it here, but I don't think he did. I still think it's worth sharing so I'll just do it.

03oYPSU.jpg

Link to the imgur gallery

Link to the reddit post

What do you guys think? I've never seen anything like it before. Do you think it could be hereditary? 

Edited by b3rnd, 21 November 2017 - 06:36 AM.

It's a little chilly.

#2 CMJ

CMJ

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hey people!

Some time ago I saw this post on reddit about a very peculiar pepper. It was half green, half white, split in the middle. The leaves were too. I told the guy to post it here, but I don't think he did. I still think it's worth sharing so I'll just do it.

03oYPSU.jpg

Link to the imgur gallery
Link to the reddit post

What do you guys think? I've never seen anything like it before. Do you think it could be hereditary? 

My instinct says that it is photoshopped, the lines are just too perfect.Then again, we have a sub species of Crappie(fish) here that when people see pics they think its bogus because there is a black stripe from its lips to its tail. Off topic I know, but its all I could come up with. If it's real, then I have no idea, lol!266e4a5de8e38f03c612fe06ce872435.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

#3 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  • aka:Da Boss's Dad

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

I am sure it is possible because it happens with animals.  Believe it or not, goat and sheep can create geep.  But it is incredibly rare. But if it is going to happen, it should be chocolate and white so we can call it a swirl.  I do not think it is hereditary or the goat sheep thing would be a fad.

This Year Makes or Breaks Us - Please Share, Link, & Consider

Dragon's Breath, Big Mama, Colorful Reapers: Fresh this Summer

Click here for Peppers by Mail P.B.M.

#4 Peter S

Peter S

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

I remember seeing that facebook post, I think it had been painted.

#5 DaQatz

DaQatz

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

I am sure it is possible because it happens with animals.  Believe it or not, goat and sheep can create geep.  But it is incredibly rare. But if it is going to happen, it should be chocolate and white so we can call it a swirl.  I do not think it is hereditary or the goat sheep thing would be a fad.

That's a hybrid not a chimera. A chimera is when when two distinct sets of genetics exist in one animal/plant. In animals this happens when you have two zygotes mix that are from separate fertilizations.

Example of a chimera cat.

603390_462987833722233_1344375991_n2.jpg

Peppers taste the flamebow.

#6 Diafond

Diafond

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

Yes, very interesting, but most likely not hereditary. Chimeras are usually propagated using cuttings or grafts.

#7 spicefreak

spicefreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the only other case of a chimeric pepper is the stripey "Enjoya" bell, in which the genetic variability was artificially induced.

I am curious to see how this one ripens.

#8 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,606 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

If I had to guess I'd say it was shopped.  But Fish peppers that I've grown the last five or so years have variegated leaves and fruits, so it's possible.

Fish pepper:

12f037fd37cd8db210826f1e4e9958d4.jpg

They ripen to a uniform bright red though...

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#9 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,330 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

That crappie looks like it has a big mouth too
  • CMJ likes this

#10 peppamang

peppamang

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

I've got a goat's weed cross that grows some funky variegation but nothing like that.  Pretty cool if it's real! 

#11 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts
  • aka:Da Boss's Dad

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

That's a hybrid not a chimera. A chimera is when when two distinct sets of genetics exist in one animal/plant. In animals this happens when you have two zygotes mix that are from separate fertilizations.

Example of a chimera cat.

You are right.  I mixed two thoughts.  There is a Geep hybrid and a Geep chimera.  The chimera is produced in a lab.

This Year Makes or Breaks Us - Please Share, Link, & Consider

Dragon's Breath, Big Mama, Colorful Reapers: Fresh this Summer

Click here for Peppers by Mail P.B.M.

#12 NIbbles

NIbbles

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

I don't think it is real, but if it is that's kinda neat!

#13 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:32 PM

I don't think it is real, but if it is that's kinda neat!

`
Initially I was on the photo shopped band wagon until I saw this, UF Pepper Diseases - Chimera. If you click on the link in the OP, Link to the imgur gallery, and look at the leaf pic then the one in the FU article I'm thinking hum... Then the next two pix I found kinda puts the cherry on top.

J0uvPkz.jpg

to4ddx8uf8oz.jpg

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#14 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Yeah but brothermang's half-white pod has the white going up the frikkin' STEM. Definitely fake. When he posted it on FB, he included other pics from other angles, which dispelled the Photoshop theory somewhat but I agree with Peter S. I think it's painted.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#15 Diafond

Diafond

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

I see little reason to suspect it's fake. Remember what a chimera is. It is a plant (or animal) with two types of cells that are genetically different. In this case it looks like there was a mutation in one of the plant's cells which prevents the production of chlorophyll (albinism). This probably happened close to a growing tip, or otherwise it wouldn't have spread as it did. If you look closely at the fruit picture you can see that a thin stripe of white growth runs up the main stem before it reaches the fruit stem where it becomes more pronounced.

The two pictures of half green pods that someone posted doesn't look like chimeras to me. It just seems like they have ripened halfway and if they had been left on the plant the whole fruit would probably have changed colour. In a true chimera I would expect the border between the two tissues to be much sharper.

Someone also mentioned the fish pepper but could it really be a chimera since it grow true from seed?

Edited by Diafond, 02 December 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#16 spicefreak

spicefreak

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

Pretty sure the Fish isn't a chimera but the Enjoya is. Hence why it's only ever grown from cuttings.

EDIT: The best explanation of it I've seen: http://the-biologist...oya-pepper.html

Edited by spicefreak, 02 December 2017 - 10:47 PM.

#17 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

I don't think it's fake. I've seen this kind of thing in cannabis.

yellow-green-leaf-split-closeup.jpg

leaf-split-2-tone.jpg

#18 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I don't think it's fake. I've seen this kind of thing in cannabis.

And exactly what were you doing with pot in Switzerland? :high:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#19 Dinsdale

Dinsdale

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

I was learning indoor gardening! Good times   :D

Edited by Dinsdale, 20 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#20 siling_labuyo

siling_labuyo

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:48 AM

Question: Will the seeds from a Chimera pod still be viable? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests