• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer fertilizer

I know that you are suppose to use different fertilizers at different times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are not supposed to fertilize super young plants. I would love some help to know when to add certain fertilizers to make my peppers mature to adult hood as fast as they can. Also what fertilizer gives more fruit.

All I use is worm castings and seaweed kelp extract and get great results. Occasionally I spray the foliage with Epsom salt too.  

Seaweed kelp is good stuff when the plants are into like the 5-6th leave set. I also use bat guano and marine cuisine. Cheers!

You could certainly use it but it would need to be composted with other materials because its hot kinda like chicken manure. I have chickens at home and their manure is very hot because it contains a lot of ammonia. Chickens and tortoises pee and poop from the same hole so that's where all the ammonia comes from. It would definitely make a good additive to the compost bin but only in limited amounts.

I do not have as much experience as some of the members here but I will chime in with what I am using and my experiences anyway.

Firstly, I found that you can definitely over fertilise plants and cause more harm than good. Secondly, I found that you can definitely overcomplicate things with mixing too many different fertilizers together.

All of my plants get a seaweed & fish extract with a slow release fertilizer granules.

Swamptrout said:
I do not have as much experience as some of the members here but I will chime in with what I am using and my experiences anyway.

Firstly, I found that you can definitely over fertilise plants and cause more harm than good. Secondly, I found that you can definitely overcomplicate things with mixing too many different fertilizers together.

All of my plants get a seaweed & fish extract with a slow release fertilizer granules.
When I first started growing and all the way up til recently I was always looking for the best and greatest fert. I tried almost every bottle of this and every granule of that over the years. But sometimes the best way is to keep it simple. Organic ferts are very hard to overdo and they work great. This is my first year using only worm castings and kelp extract and the results were amazing. I know a guy that owns a hydro shop and he told me one day "look, I have a store full of almost every fert and chemical you can think of but all I use is worm castings and kelp extract". That says a lot coming from a guy that does this for a living.

Edmick said:
When I first started growing and all the way up til recently I was always looking for the best and greatest fert. I tried almost every bottle of this and every granule of that over the years. But sometimes the best way is to keep it simple. Organic ferts are very hard to overdo and they work great. This is my first year using only worm castings and kelp extract and the results were amazing. I know a guy that owns a hydro shop and he told me one day "look, I have a store full of almost every fert and chemical you can think of but all I use is worm castings and kelp extract". That says a lot coming from a guy that does this for a living.

yeah agree totally that's all I use.

my kelp extract here in aus has carp (fish) in it too. assume its the same there ?

Swamptrout said:

yeah agree totally that's all I use.

my kelp extract here in aus has carp (fish) in it too. assume its the same there ?
I don't think so. All it lists on the label is Norwegian kelp extract..

I never change from a ratio of 1:1:1 NPK  for the life of the chile in hydro.

I have experimented with changing  nutrient ratios and the chiles have not changed.

Voodoo 6 said:
The thing i noticed with fish emulsions is animals like to dig that area up. But it is good stuff.
Yup. My dogs broke through the gate around one of my raised beds when I used it to eat the soil. Lol

worm castings are great. It's almost impossible to overdo and they are packed full of nutrients. I have heard that you can overdo kelp extract though. Not sure if that's true but I used it every 2 weeks.

How are the worm castings applied is it mixed in with the soil before planting or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back