• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Has anyone used a masticating juicer for making sauce?

Just curious if anyone has tried to cold press peppers through this type of a juicer. Basically they slow grind fruits and veggies separating the liquids and oils from the solids. I have one collecting dust and thought it would be interesting to see how it might work in making hot sauces.

You want to separate the pepper liquid from the flesh for sauce? Why? You mean you are going to discard the actual pepper solids and use the "juice"?

Makes no sense. Hot sauce is made of peppers, not juice. You want both. What you discard, if any, with a mill, is seeds, skins, and hard pulpy bits, but the flesh is the main part of the sauce. Like the tomato to tomato sauce. This juicer just makes the work harder because you have the juice and the flesh separate.

The Hot Pepper said:
Makes no sense. Hot sauce is made of peppers, not juice. You want both. What you discard, if any, with a mill, is seeds, skins, and hard pulpy bits, but the flesh is the main part of the sauce. Like the tomato to tomato sauce. This juicer just makes the work harder because you have the juice and the flesh separate.
Soooo you're sayin he should go for it? lol

Crispee-FL said:
Just trying to see if I can get some use out of this machine in making sauces, I have a friend asking if I could make him a thin sauce like Crystal or Tabasco without fermentation. Scorpion shots anyone? Lol

It's not the fermentation that makes it thin, it's the excess vinegar to mash ratio. You can easily make a fresh version. For the machine, not sure it will result in anything good but worth a shot I guess.

FYI, the Tabasco process = Aged peppers for up to 3 years in salt. Then, the mash is dumped into vats/pools of vinegar where a system stirs it for 1 month. Then it is stained for solids, but a lot are broken down in both of the former processes. Hope this helps. :)

Could see the "juice" as supplemental to a sauce that needs it but not as the only pepper source, but who knows... maybe could be good to spice up ketchup etc. But it's a bit wasteful if throwing away the pepper flesh. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Could see the "juice" as supplemental to a sauce that needs it but not as the only pepper source, but who knows... maybe could be good to spice up ketchup etc. But it's a bit wasteful if throwing away the pepper flesh. 
I agree, I will have a ton of pods ripen over the next few weeks so it cant hurt to play around with on a small scale. I know when I used to use it regularly, the flavor and color of whatever fruit or vegetable the juice was significantly intensified, obviously as you are reducing the flavor to mass ratio.

Due to the fact that a significant portion of the heat is in the ribs and placenta, I suspect the pulp should have some heat left. Especially if you split the peppers and remove the seeds without removing the ribs like I do when drying peppers for powder. Just not sure how hot the juice will actually be, but the oils should carry enough to make a reasonably hot sauce, and you can always add a little bit of pulp back into the sauce. It will be while til I get a juicer so let's hope of gets tried out for the rest of us before we all go out and buy juicers.

interesting topic.  

I've not done any work with juicers.  Seen them at the FM and stores. 
They seem to look like they expel a lot of fiber just looking at how much carrots and celery have to go into that 16oz drink. 

Wondering if cooking/aging/fermenting the original mash would help get more fibers through the process and into the resulting liquid?  Like Boss said, Tabasco ages, then blends the peppers with vinegar.  Literally agitating for more than a month, continually breaking down the fibers of the pepper flesh/seed/skin.   

Running fresh peppers through a juicer should yield a relatively spicy chile juice.  It seems like you'd have to run a (lot) of peppers through the juicer to yield a reasonable amount of juice.  Granted, when I think of a 'reasonable amount' I tend to think on a scale larger than most.  But if a person is to do the work, might as well get a resulting amount that makes it worth the effort!  

The tailings will have a good amount of heat.  I've saved tailings from the food mill, (can't remember the specific project....) , dried, ground and used as pepper sprinkles-  and the ground tailings can be used in salt/seasoning blends.  Waste not~~~  ;)

Back