• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Longest life of your pepper plant?

Just wondering how long or how many seasons your pepper plants have lasted? Are all species of Pepper Plants the same in length of life?

Same as peppamang, I've got a few 3rd years and a few 2nd years. I know there are breeders that keep a handful of popular parents at the back of their greenhouses for years and years and years

Bicycle808 said:
When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round. I want to have pepper plants grown like hedges. I think that's be rad. From what I've read, folks one suitably warm locales have some very old chile plants.
:rofl:
She's not interested in warmer weather? But seriously, that opening sentence is quite a quotable quote! Do you mind if I use it? Don't have to attach your name if you don't want ;)

She likes warm weather, but she refuses to move more than a few hours´ drive from her family, so we´re pretty much stuck in the mid-Atlantic states of the USA. 

By all means, use that quote.  I tend to use it when i´m dreaming of how rad my life would be if i were single, but i want to make it seem like i´m the victim, rather than some guy who wants to abandon his bride t grow chiles year-round. 

Thank ye kindly! While I'm clogging up this thread, I'll mention that I haven't been passionately into chillies long enough to grow a plant for multiple years, although I plan to change that! I hear Rocotos do really well after the first year, apparently.

Bicycle808 said:
When my wife finally comes to her senses and leaves me, I wanna move to a place warm enough where my chile plants can survive in the ground year-round. I want to have pepper plants grown like hedges. I think that's be rad. From what I've read, folks one suitably warm locales have some very old chile plants.
Come on Down!
58D6EABE-3BED-4B61-A33C-58A2106FF053.png

hogleg said:
I've got a manzano that's about 7 years old or more. And a few rocoto's that are three or four years old

That's exciting. I'll have to look it up as well as the rocoto.

Are the stems thick like trees now?

Man, I wish I could. I had family on St Pete and my dad had moved to Naples for a few years. That kind of weather is NICE, especially if you want to grow... But my Grandad, who was an avid gardener, always cussed about the pests in Florida. He has an easier time with the creepie crawlies in Jersey and Pittsburgh, I guess.

If I had that kind of weather, though, i'd try to grow a danged Fatalii orchard, know what I mean??

Crispee-FL said:

I have three season scorpion and reaper plants. They produced great early season but seemed to drop off harder than younger plants later in the season. I was wondering if they were losing vigor. We'll see what they do next year.

DWB said:
I have three season scorpion and reaper plants. They produced great early season but seemed to drop off harder than younger plants later in the season. I was wondering if they were losing vigor. We'll see what they do next year.

People often claim that peppers fruit when they are ready, thus not responsive to day length.  The more I read opinions like yours, the more I think that opinion is flat wrong.  If an adult pepper changes production with the season then it is obviously responding to either light or temperature.  I am really thinking light is part of it.  Maybe not day length but the changing spectrum of the seasons rolling on.  I cant believe it is all temperature.

taking a wiri wiri  into a second overwinter ... 

barely got it thru the first one  , it was down to an almost lifeless stick in the spring but  bounced back by end of season, as you can see in the picture ... 

hopeful to get it  through in better condition this time. 

wiriwiri1.jpg

After pruning for O/W last year it ended up shorter bushier for plant growth this season. Pod production was similar, but almost two months behind on final harvest, my fault entirely. I just stuck it outside without taking time to harden off. Shock between that and repotting it dropped almost all of its leaves.

Back