• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

$50.00 Chip Challenge ???

Do you remember the single chip in a pack for five bucks?  So the company that makes them is sold out.  They can now be found on Ebay for around fifty bucks.  Fifty dollars for a single chip?  Does this seem like something you would pay for a single frigging chip?  Seriously, has this fad become so lucrative that this is possible?

It's a marketing expense for YouTubers that have channels and want to do the challenge. Like anything that sells out the cost will go up.

I have access to as much heat as I want and can make any chip I desire hotter than the Paqui. I wouldn't pay 5.00 then and wouldn't pay 5.00 now. So 50.00? HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah ha ha hah ha ha h aha h aha hah ahj ah ah hah ah h ah ah ah cough cough cough cough!

that is outrageous! the hot pepper is right though, you tubers will buy or do anything to get views. It might also be that not a lot of people buy them and since the company is out of business there is a shortage. It also makes it seem hotter if it is more expensive.

I hashtagged #onechipchallenge and BOOM!

paqui_one_chip_challenge.png

NIbbles said:
that is outrageous! the hot pepper is right though, you tubers will buy or do anything to get views. It might also be that not a lot of people buy them and since the company is out of business there is a shortage. It also makes it seem hotter if it is more expensive.
What makes you think they are out of business?

Peter S said:
I think the marketing behind the one chip challenge was genius. Selling single chips for 5.00 each, then having1000s of people market the product for free.
I tend to agree except for the part of failing to meet supply and demand.

Agree with everyone on marketing and how bright they were to do this.  Just kind of weirded out that it worked, that people will pay that much.  Now dont get me wrong.  I understand things like Puckerbutt and StandandFire's chocolate bhutlah sauce that was really pricey at first.  The proceeds were going to charity.  Things like that are more like you are giving to charity and you get a gift.  But the strictly for profit stunts, I just dont know why people participate.  I just seems so very silly.  Then again, when it is five bucks I guess it is worth the entertainment value.

It's within your right to not order one, and within other's to do so. Why pay $20,000 for a piece of paper that originally cot 39 cents? (comic books etc)

The Hot Pepper said:
Paqui is NOT out out business.

I know. I was inquiring where the misinformation was coming from.

"It might also be that not a lot of people buy them and since the company is out of business there is a shortage."

But here in lye's the next question. If chips are selling for 50.00, does Paqui realize the profit potential and raise their prices accordingly?

I know I was also talking to NIbbles.

The Hot Pepper said:
It's within your right to not order one, and within other's to do so. Why pay $20,000 for a piece of paper that originally cot 39 cents? (comic books etc)

Not complaining.  Trying to understand.  I want to be the person with the five dollar ship some day.  Trying to understand the fad.  Heck,I am still trying to understand media / science fiction conventions.  People pay hundreds of dollars to go, shop, play games, see new stuff.  I can play games with friends and see new stuff on the internet.  I honestly do not understand.

I understand things like gun shows.  You are still paying to shop but it is a few bucks.

AJ Drew said:

Not complaining.  Trying to understand.  I want to be the person with the five dollar ship some day.  Trying to understand the fad.  Heck,I am still trying to understand media / science fiction conventions.  People pay hundreds of dollars to go, shop, play games, see new stuff.  I can play games with friends and see new stuff on the internet.  I honestly do not understand.

I understand things like gun shows.  You are still paying to shop but it is a few bucks.

To some, it is just being able to say, I was there. Or I have the disposable cash to do whatever I want, and I want to do this. and I want to do this NOW.

These companies are going viral you are knocking them for that?

AJ Drew said:
Not complaining.. 

What then?

The only thing I am knocking is their unpreparedness to maintain the supply of product to a market they created thus allowing the gougers to flourish.

Back