• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pot size and age

I was wondering if peppers like taller or wider pots, if they care. what do you guys suggest. also how long to peppers live if you over winter them(i know they live more than ten years but everything dies at some point, like a tree)? i have done this twice and have a 2 year old plant, but is not making as much fruit.

also is it ok to completely cut off the old stems from the year before? because they make the plant look ugly in y opinion?

In a similar thread (which I didn't bother to link right now - maybe I will later), experienced growers mentioned that wider pots usually could sustain a larger plant for a given soil volume. There are advantages/disadvantages though; it seems plants in wider pots need more attention to make sure they aren't being over/underwatered since the soil is more prone to water loss through evaporation.

In regards to the second question, they can live awhile. I've heard of a few over 7 years old. It would seem the oldest are usually 10-15 years old under ideal circumstances. Propagating from cuttings can extend this.

You can trim dead stems at pretty much any time. As long as you allow a recovery period (to grow new leaves/branches) between pruning sessions you can extensively trim pepper plants as you find necessary. Bonchi plants are the product of heavy selective pruning and they do fine.

NIbbles said:
I was wondering if peppers like taller or wider pots, if they care. what do you guys suggest. also how long to peppers live if you over winter them(i know they live more than ten years but everything dies at some point, like a tree)? i have done this twice and have a 2 year old plant, but is not making as much fruit.

Peter_L said:
In a similar thread (which I didn't bother to link right now - maybe I will later), experienced growers mentioned that wider pots usually could sustain a larger plant for a given soil volume. There are advantages/disadvantages though; it seems plants in wider pots need more attention to make sure they aren't being over/underwatered since the soil is more prone to water loss through evaporation.

In regards to the second question, they can live awhile. I've heard of a few over 7 years old. It would seem the oldest are usually 10-15 years old under ideal circumstances. Propagating from cuttings can extend this.

You can trim dead stems at pretty much any time. As long as you allow a recovery period (to grow new leaves/branches) between pruning sessions you can extensively trim pepper plants as you find necessary. Bonchi plants are the product of heavy selective pruning and they do fine.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66639-longest-life-of-your-pepper-plant/

might be the thread to look through

Back