• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First batch done

Chili verde hot sauce. When my taste buds return from my cold Ill give her a try

Attachments

• DB195069-05C9-441A-8AC5-F63AB1ED84C7.jpeg
    DB195069-05C9-441A-8AC5-F63AB1ED84C7.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 57
PtMD989 said:
What is a good way to dry it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the fruit leather trays that came with my dehydrator and they do a great job.

If you don't have a dehydrator yet simply spread the tailings out in an even layer on a cookie sheet and put it in your oven on the lowest setting.  

First batches of chili verde sauce. Had almost no flavor.
So I dumped the strain in the mash from the jalepeno Garlic that tasted fai and will use it for salsa.
Havent stained the ghost pepper/bell pepper mash. So what s next
Have access to habenero at local store. Whats a good started blend for second attempt. Mangos?

Only hot peppers I have access to at store are jalapeños habenero Thai and serranos. Not sure what to try next

If it tasted like nothing you are straining too much out! Just blend it all till smooth and don't throw away actual hot pepper flesh!

I don't strain anything. Some do but you have to do it right. Or you remove what makes hot sauce hot sauce, the actual peppers.

I use a combination of cooking down and blending to achieve the results I like.

Also if you mill you can't do it too early or you will be straining out pieces that can still break down and cook, and make it into the sauce.

Rabbit91476 said:
So the ghost pepper bell pepper and salt brine. How do I save that. Blend and cook down?

When my fermented pepper mash is finished I dump the entire contents out into a big ole ss pot and turn the heat on medium.

The ferment comes to a slow simmer, and then I use my immersion blender to blend everything together really fine.  

Then I use the medium plate on my food mill to process the batch.  This step removes almost all the seeds and pepper skins (which I dehydrate and grind to make spice blends).  Then the whole batch is brought back to a simmer and I make final adjustments by adding a bit of salt or maybe some sweetener like honey and/or maybe a bit of vinegar if needed.

I blend once more to guarantee a smooth pouring sauce (also helps keep them from separating) and bottle while the sauce is hot using hot fill/hold method.  A few years back I did a tutorial on fermentation that might be of some help to you.  Good luck!  

Back