• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Bacon in Hot Sauce

I have a sauce that I grind fully-cooked bacon into with fresh ghost peppers (and other ingredients). I cook and blend everything together for quite a while until everything is pulverized and pourable.   I use it as a rub for my ribs or steak. I make it on demand and use it right away.  Do you think a hot sauce with freshly cooked bacon in it would stand the test of time during a fermenting process?  Basically, would there be any ill effects of adding pork to a bottled sauce?  Would the FDA tell me to take my recipe and shove it?

There's sauces with bacon already. But I would not have the proper advice on how to proceed.

The Hot Pepper said:
There's sauces with bacon already. But I would not have the proper advice on how to proceed.
I've tasted a few different bacon flavored sauces, but they all seem kinda artificial.  I don't know if it's because of the fermentation process or if they are using bacon bits instead of real bacon.  ALl I know is that I haven't liked any of the flavors I've bought, but I love the one I make.  Maybe it's only because it's fresh out of the blender.

It is possible to make and sell a sauce with bacon in it.  It is highly regulated, as having meat or dairy in a sauce is a huge critical factor, but it is definitely doable.  

I've not heard of anyone using bacon in a fermentation and would definitely suggest to NOT put bacon into a fermentation.  The bacon could be added at the end of fermentation when processing/bottling.

Back