• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Dates

So I got about 10lbs of dates from the local PoW WoW market and I do not know what to make from them. Any of guys out there ever made anything with dates?

Scorpion pepper steak sauce. Use the dates like you would raisins in A1 or Pickapeppa. Peppers, vinegar, brown sugar, worcestershire, dates, salt, etc. whatev. You get the idea.

The Hot Pepper said:
Scorpion pepper steak sauce. Use the dates like you would raisins in A1 or Pickapeppa. Peppers, vinegar, brown sugar, worcestershire, dates, salt, etc. whatev. You get the idea.

Sounds really good. I think a few of lucky dogs sauces use dates as well. 

Yeah it's like ingredient #2 you can totally taste it. A lot of steak type sauces have it. That and tamarind, or worcestershire, which has tamarind in it. You should try A1. 

Haven't had it in ages, it was never my go-to sauce, it was too strong, almost like a thick marinade. It covered up the steak flavor. Even as a kid, I knew, you don't sauce up a good steak! Haha.

Walchit said:
I've had A1 lol. Guess I never looked at the ingredients, I imagine tamarind is the taste I associated to A1. I need to increase my spice knowledge!

Not in A1 but in a few sauces yeah. Worcestershire gives similar flavor as has tamarind and anchovy, and also, a lot of these sauces use anchovy as well. A1 is very potent and tangy, the raisins play a large roll as well as the vinegar.

Back on topic I think dates would work great with peppers, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, ginger, very small amount of clove, and worcestershire/fish sauce, for salt/umami. I'd put that shite on pork chops, steak, beef tacos, even fish (oysters! mmm).

MikeUSMC said:
I use dates in my 'Original Recipe.' Seems to be a hit
The Hot Pepper said:
Back on topic I think dates would work great with peppers, brown sugar, onion, garlic, ginger.....
IMG_4199.PNG

IMG_5908.PNG

IMG_5909.jpg

;)

:seeya:

They key is small batch (as in smaller than you intend to be final) so you can adjust as you cook... "too many dates... oops, needs more of everything else now" etc.

Back