•  

The 11th Annual Hot Pepper Awards ACCEPTING ENTRIES!

Photo

Do you have a web site and ...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 41,419 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Super Hots Canada Food and Plants

Built from scratch and has been up for over a year and listed on my business cards. Though, to date, there's not been a single order placed through my website.

What, really? Maybe you are not proactive enuf. "If you build it, they will come" does not work for websites.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 Super Hots Canada

Super Hots Canada

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • aka:Naryndel

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

What, really? Maybe you are not proactive enuf. "If you build it, they will come" does not work for websites.

Exactly.. Marketing isn't my strong point, but I'm learning and this next season I intend to do far better. I'm finally starting to build a following locally - including owners of local pizza shops and restaurants, and I've made it to the local Farmer's Market a couple of times.. That's a costly venture, but it's great for getting my name out there. I've made a few sales through FB and this next season I'll focus on pushing the fresh peppers. I think selling fresh across Canada will encourage more word-of-mouth, beyond my little county - that should really help turns things around. :)

Grow Log: /topic/58569-super-hots-canada-2016-grow / Twitter: @SuperHotsCanada / facebook.com/SuperHotsCanada

#23 AJ Drew

AJ Drew
  • aka:Da Boss's Dad

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:37 PM

Super Hots Canada - You already have the single most important thing in business these days: a three letter name.  SHC

Seriously, I am right there with you on wanting to promote but not knowing a thing about doing it.  If you want to bounce ideas, share what works, share what does not, I'd love being your sounding board.  I am about to do the promote post thing on Facebook.  I am using a coupon code that lets me know where the sale came from.  Will be doing the same elsewhere.  If you remind me in spring when the experiment ends, will let you know what was good for me and what wasnt.

If you sell fresh pods, please do let me now.  That is our main business but shipping priority to Canada is wildly expensive.  Rather than telling people I am sorry but no, would love to have a list of good folk up there that I can send them to.

$5.00 Flat Rate Shipping to Canada - Free to US Destinations

Seeds ready for 2018 Season - Fresh Peppers in late Spring

Click here for Peppers by Mail P.B.M.

#24 Super Hots Canada

Super Hots Canada

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • aka:Naryndel

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:50 PM

Super Hots Canada - You already have the single most important thing in business these days: a three letter name.  SHC

Seriously, I am right there with you on wanting to promote but not knowing a thing about doing it.  If you want to bounce ideas, share what works, share what does not, I'd love being your sounding board.  I am about to do the promote post thing on Facebook.  I am using a coupon code that lets me know where the sale came from.  Will be doing the same elsewhere.  If you remind me in spring when the experiment ends, will let you know what was good for me and what wasnt.

If you sell fresh pods, please do let me now.  That is our main business but shipping priority to Canada is wildly expensive.  Rather than telling people I am sorry but no, would love to have a list of good folk up there that I can send them to.

My full business name is "Super Hots Canada Food and Plants" - but only because the rules in my province demand certain elements in a business to describe what you primarily do/offer (unless your a corporation - then they let you have just about any name you want).. But yup, it works out nicely that it abbreviates like that. :)

I tried out buying Facebook Ads a couple summers back - one focused locally, and one focused nationally. I only threw in $50 CAD, but all the same it provided rather ineffective. $50 over 7 days only earned me around 1-3 new Page Likes... BUT this season I tried out hosting a small contest on my FB page that I let run for about a week. I picked out 3 winners (from Canada & US) and in that time I shared the post to a few FB groups and in the end it attracted around 50 new Page Likes (before the contest I had just under 100).. So I'd highly suggest a simple contest - i.e. set some simple rules for liking/sharing a post, and pick a winner or two at the end for even something as simple as some packs of seeds. :) .. Part of my inspiration was the simple, fun contests people sometimes have here on the forum.

Grow Log: /topic/58569-super-hots-canada-2016-grow / Twitter: @SuperHotsCanada / facebook.com/SuperHotsCanada

#25 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 41,419 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:07 PM

Facebook marketing works best as 2 phases. First you have to get people to Like your page, unless you already have a lot of fans (in the thousands). If you look at your page and scroll down you should see a "Promote Page" button. Once clicked choose your target audience. The ad itself with have the Like button right in it. Works great for new Likes.

Once you have fans, then when you have a sale or promo, and boost that actual post, promote it to "People who like your page and their friends." If you simply have a sale and target people that like hot peppers it is not as effective. Promoting to people that like your page means it is targeted to people that are interested in actually buying what you have to offer (like a mailing list), since they liked your page, and it works well to promote to their friends, as, the chilihead community is tight knit, and usually, they have chilihead friends with the same interests. So it works exponentially for sales and new Likes. It's all abut building brick by brick. But simply using keyword targets like hot peppers etc. is not as useful for direct sales, a lot of wasted $ as people scroll by. But targeting first for Likes, then, those and their friends for sales, I find works very well. Cheers!

#26 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 41,419 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

In simpler terms it works like this: Say I'm a brewer that buys hops. In my feed I see a page that sells hops and the Like button is right in the ad. I click it w/o even having to visit their page. Then, when they have a sale, they promote the ad to "likes and friends," I see it, and buy. But if they promoted to everyone that likes beer to hops they'd waste a lot more money on those not interested in buying them. So if you already have a lot of likes, boost your posts. If not, get the likes first! :)

#27 floricole

floricole

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:33 PM

I'm starting to do my site
I am currently trying opencart for my online store

and a test preview of the home page

Mex5UOa.gif

Edited by floricole, 06 December 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#28 D3monic

D3monic

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,579 posts
  • aka:D3
  • (x6)

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

I just have a facebook and instagram. I'm not fancy. Just search @D3peppers ...nvm. I didn't realize what sub forum this was. I don't have a business yet

Edited by D3monic, 06 December 2017 - 08:40 PM.

Find me on Instagram

Can I help it if I'm one of those fanatical TD fans?I got my #3 Demonic jersey on, my face is painted, and I cant stop yelling WOOOOOO!!

#29 Walchit

Walchit

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Websites are a pita

www.presamania.com

This is one of my best friends sites. He has some of my bloodlines in his dogs. I grew weary of dog breeding

#30 floricole

floricole

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

here is a little overview of what the site is going to have

I'm going to sell my peppers with a little of their history, the place of origin is done with appication ( still in progress) that allows me to select on the globe and to choose the region to put in color

here is the control panel

LwyAOCX.gif

and here is the card by region selected, by clicking on the name the image and more description appears

e2g9iDU.png

#31 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

I'm starting to do my site
I am currently trying opencart for my online store

and a test preview of the home page

I can not stop staring at your gif.  You could put subliminal messages in that thing.  It is trippy.

#32 floricole

floricole

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

I can not stop staring at your gif.  You could put subliminal messages in that thing.  It is trippy.

humm good idea, I had not thought about it

#33 AJ Drew

AJ Drew

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:33 PM

If you can pull off the world graphics it will be very nice.  I'd worry about bogging down slower computers that poor folk like me use.  But yes, including origin is a great idea.  I am working on that bit by bit by adding flags and maps.  I am wordpress, so I imagine I will add categories eventually so you can click on the category and see other peppers from the region.  But the map is way over my head.

#34 floricole

floricole

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

If you can pull off the world graphics it will be very nice.  I'd worry about bogging down slower computers that poor folk like me use.  But yes, including origin is a great idea.  I am working on that bit by bit by adding flags and maps.  I am wordpress, so I imagine I will add categories eventually so you can click on the category and see other peppers from the region.  But the map is way over my head.

it's all made with svg, it's very fast even with a 10 years old computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests