• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Edible to the wife?

Hello!

Well.... I know I love hot, hot, HOT food...with a tinge of unique flavor behind it.

The wife...does not do heat well but is open minded.

Based on above, what would you recommend adding to my grow?

Currently growing banana pep, hab, choc hab, reaper, brown moruga and the list of hot stuff goes on.

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I suggest the Grenada Seasoning Pepper and Yellow Monkey Face.

Grenada Seasoning Pepper has a delicious yellow chinense fruity flavor and almost no heat. I could only detect a faint tingling on the lips from these.

The Yellow Monkey Face has pretty good sized pods and a sweet annuum taste similar to the bagged sweet peppers sold in supermarkets. The heat is roughly around Serrano or Aji Omnicolor levels, IMO.

I think the Grenada Seasoning and Yellow Monkey Face would both be very versatile in the kitchen.

BlackFatalii said:
I suggest the Grenada Seasoning Pepper and Yellow Monkey Face.

Grenada Seasoning Pepper has a delicious yellow chinense fruity flavor and almost no heat. I could only detect a faint tingling on the lips from these.

The Yellow Monkey Face has pretty good sized pods and a sweet annuum taste similar to the bagged sweet peppers sold in supermarkets. The heat is roughly around Serrano or Aji Omnicolor levels, IMO.

I think the Grenada Seasoning and Yellow Monkey Face would both be very versatile in the kitchen.

Great!

I've just ordered both with at least 10 seeds. Should be here next week. I read that the Grenada plant smells really good!

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

The Hot Pepper said:
You can also make a nice selection of powders from your harvest for spicing meals. Even superhot powders can be used sparingly for mild to medium heat on a dish.
I'm hoping that a few I'm growing can be grinded down for this. . . The mango hab sauce from bww.. was too hot for her.

Mr.CtChilihead said:
I grow a sweet pepper called Yummy for my wife. They make great ABT's for those afraid of heat. Also I like growing some Big Jim's and Fresno's for less heat.
Is that the yummy orange hybrid pepper?

Grow poblanos, let them ripen to red, dry them preferably in the sun or in dehydrator (this makes them anchos), fill a jar with ancho powder, she will love you for it! Smoky and sweet, very little heat. Save some of those fresh red poblanos for chile rellenos. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
Grow poblanos, let them ripen to red, dry them preferably in the sun or in dehydrator (this makes them anchos), fill a jar with ancho powder, she will love you for it! Smoky and sweet, very little heat. Save some of those fresh red poblanos for chile rellenos. ;)
Perfect! Ordered. I'll remember this and let you know what she thinks.. In like 76 days.

Mr.CtChilihead said:

Yes Yummy Orange.I got a few plants from CCN a couple of years a go..I can look if I saved seeds this year, not sure if I did or not.
Sweet!

Padrons eaten ripe and fresh can reach about the heat of a decent Habanero sauce but they're more commonly picked green, before most of them develop anything much at all.
In this state, they taste pretty vile until fried and salted, where they pick up a fairly unique and slightly sweet green chilli flavour that's commonly described as being a little nutty.

They're a traditional starter served in spain - a country not known for any big love of heat - but they are often referred to as "russian roulette" peppers because they can reach their full red heat a little before they change colour. If you're growing for your wife, you may have to keep an eye on how long individual chillies stay on the plant and pick them before they get too big. Well worth it, though.

Here's some other considerations:

Shishito (mild but great charred and eaten with sea salt and fish flakes)
Cumari (small little pea sized peppers you can dry, pick up with your fingers, and crush over a meal)
Aleppo (fantastic sweet/spicy flake for almost any food)

Back