• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Reaper flavor.... fruity or floral.... new peppers

Hey All,

I have a Reaper plant (hydro) that has been a challenge for me for many reason. Wouldn't stop growing; would set fruit (flower drop); and now aphids galore.

I have over two dozen peppers on the plant now, and none of the (except for the newest one) look anything like a Reaper. They are all green at this point too.

I picked one of the oldest and most mature green pepper off of the plant for a taste. Even though it was still green, it was pretty hot (had Jalapenos that were nearly as hot though... in my opinion).

Since these peppers do not look like Reapers, I suspect that the plant that I've been eagerly awaiting to sample Reapers from.... is not a Reaper after all.

The pepper had an intense floral flavor... not sweet like I have read that a Reaper would be. It was hot, but the heat came on slowly. The heat didn't last very long either.

You can see the peppers here (top of the page) http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66093-new-setup-hots/page-3

Would also like to know if the "first" peppers on a plant are representative of the peppers to come ?

Thanks,

Jeff

I would say they are not reapers. I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but I find the reaper to be overrated. I'm not a big fan of the flavor, and there are plenty of other superhots that can deliver some pain. The reaper takes forever to mature and start producing pods.

rickster said:
need pics.

Pics are linked in the post.... keep reading.

Spokanepepperman said:
Definitely don't look like reapers to me

I agree. Not sure what I have here.... I will say that I have one "new" pepper emerging from this plant that "is starting to look"... like a Reaper. I'll give it a week or two.

IdahoPepper said:
I would say they are not reapers. I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or not, but I find the reaper to be overrated. I'm not a big fan of the flavor, and there are plenty of other superhots that can deliver some pain. The reaper takes forever to mature and start producing pods.

The reason for me to grow the Reaper is for the "status". Nice thing to have to boast about during lunch...  "Look at this folks... this is the Carolina Reaper ! The HOTTEST Pepper in the world !!!!!  I grew it myself too !"...  (He added,... "sometimes it's the hottest in the world" )...   :dance:

Thanks for the replies !

Jeff

I'd say more floral than fruity but not too much of either, just a nice, mellow, slightly spiced (some say cinnamon but that's a stretch) pepper flavour with an unfortunate sour element accompanying its heat.

Regardless, what you've got looks more Habanero like so far.

Back