• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First Attempt Hot Sauce

Hi Guys!

I discovered the site today and haven't stopped digging through the forums (finally so many of my questions answered!).

In my pursuit for a flavourful sauce I have started to ferment my chilli's. I find it very easy to overwhelm the sauce with sweetness and heat but struggling to bring out complex flavours.

Any techniques/recipes anyone would recommend?

(Pic of my attempt at making piccalilli hot sauce, still missing something. flavours not complex or layered enough)

Attachments

• IMG-20171014-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20171014-WA0005.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
MrJohnGallagher said:
Thanks guys!

Will definitely read through fermenting 101. I read a few of the 101's yesterday an they are great!

Any Recipes you guys really love?

There are many basic sauce recipes/types that I love dearly.

The traditional "Louisiana Style" hot sauce with its bright vinegar tang and pepper burn, the caribbean scotch bonnet based sauces that are often complemented with mustard, along with so very many of the sriacha and sambal type sauces from the east.  

A quick and easy recipe that can be altered to your tastes would be 1lb ripe red hot peppers of your choice, 1 cup vinegar, 1 clove garlic, maybe a little bit of onion and a tsp of salt or so. Stem and chop the peppers and mince the onion & garlic.  Put everything in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.  When you reach a simmer reduce heat to low, cover the pan and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes.  Remove from heat and blend very well.  Taste and adjust with more salt or perhaps a bit of honey. Strain if you want.  Pour off into a jar and refrigerate.  Use on wings/pizza/fries, etc.  It's a very basic recipe, but one that can be easily altered (hotter peppers, addition of fruit, you name it) to suit your tastes.    

Back