• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Christmas Dinner, whats in your plans?

Throwing this one out there just cause I started planning for this years Christmas Dinner already. I picked up a huge beef tenderloin tonight for my Beef Wellington. I have been watching these for years and never come across one like this. Nice and clean and weighing in at 6.5 lbs. I could easily get 4 Beef Wellingtons out of this, or get two and several nice bacon wrapped filet dinners.

20171208_165729.jpg

I probably should have placed something common next to it for scale.

The Hot Pepper said:
Was weird, you posted and I saw that on FB lol..... :)

Oh yeah can't go wrong with his!

I have made it twice before. It is phenomenal. The duxelles w/chestnuts is all he claims. Careful with adding any salt though, the proshiutto has more than enough itself. I wish I could modify it with a little powder but no one else would eat it then. (OH YEAH, here they come) the comments like what more reason do you need then or all the more for me.

We normally cook beef for Christmas dinner and oyster stew on Christmas eve. Usually a prime rib/standing rib roast. This year i might try one of the sirloin roasts from Costco or the NY strip roast. Their USDA Choice looks like Prime from some other places to me. Their Prime sirloin is just fantastic but they dont have it in a roast very often.

Still waiting to see what they have in a couple more days so it might be Prime Rib again if i don't see something else i like. Their Prime "5 Rib" has been excellent the last few years.

We keep it pretty simple compared to Thanksgiving. Pretty much just meat and baked taters. Some portobella mushroom stroganoff sounds good for a side dish though....Now that i think about maybe just some jumbo portobella slices sauteed in butter and roast dripping. Turn that into almost a gravy for a side!!!!

This year we did a big Thanksgiving w everybody over so our Christmas will be a much smaller affair.  Currently thinking tenderloin medallions with potato galette, sauteed greens or maybe roasted cauliflower.  Then again, that cioppino mentioned above sounds delicious.  We'll see what the family would prefer and go from there.  :)

Back