• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

New batch done

Here is a couple pics of a bottle of my new batch made this morning. I took 2 cause I am no pro at photography lol.  Notice the specs and texture in the sauce. That is specks of the dried Chinese red peppers and maybe a few seeds here and there. It is pretty runny but has enough texture that I am pretty sure it is not going to fit through the spritzer bottles I have on order so I will probably have to leave the spritzer tops off. I tried straining it through a funnel strainer and it wouldn't pass. I kept adding water to thin it out but it still didn't want to pass so I just left it as is.

How many of you prefer a sauce with a little texture and thickness vs a watery sauce that will shake through a spritzer?

Attachments

• file-4A3C2F3B-5C81-42B9-ACBB-2C28E4F61EC0-325-0000000E8BA187E4.JPG
    file-4A3C2F3B-5C81-42B9-ACBB-2C28E4F61EC0-325-0000000E8BA187E4.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 68
  • file-AA090DA0-6134-4CB1-88EE-F38507084DBA-325-0000000E8C874CF9.JPG
    file-AA090DA0-6134-4CB1-88EE-F38507084DBA-325-0000000E8C874CF9.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 55
Okay wait I think you mean an orifice reducer. A spritzer is like the water bottle the hairdresser uses on you (if you get fancy haircuts lol)...

Depends on the dish. Some things need sauce to enter nooks and crannies, other sauces, thicker that sit on top. Depends on what you like man. 

D3monic said:
I prefer thicker sauces for the most part. A lot of mine pour ilke applesauce. If you do want a thinner sauce I recommend a food mill. Too much water and it tends to separate and settle out in my limited experience. 
Totally agree. If your sauce is too thick for your preference but won't pass through a strainer a food mill is just what the doctor ordered.

After cooling it thickened to a good consistency. What frustrates me is getting consistent heat. The other day I experimented with a recipe similar to this only I added a raw mango and shredded carrots. I used 15 fresh habaneros that I seeded. That mixture was hot as hell. I liked the heat but the recipe itself didnt taste like I hoped so I scrapped it. This batch today used the same amount of habaneros in addition to 2 cups dried Chinese red peppers with NO carrots and a pear that I caramelized in place of the fresh mango. It doesnt have near the heat of the experimental batch the other day so I added 5 more habaneros and left the seeds in and re boiled and blended. It is spicy but doesnt have any intense heat. Same batch of peppers. Not sure what killed my heat.

Back