• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone doing a worm farm?

Is anyone doing a worm farm worthy of the term "Grow Tech"?  I have been watching videos on the topic, but they are either much smaller than I want to try.  Just sort of a box with drain holes.  Or they are way to large with huge electric powered rolling cages to separate the castings.

Goal is just to produce the castings for my own use, maybe sell off the worms as I have too many, maybe put them in the garden.

willard3 said:
Cut a 55 gal plastic barrel in half, put a drain in the bottom and some leaves. Put worms on top with a cover and wait. Mine could handle 5 lbs of green stuff a day in full production.

How do you get the castings and worms seperated out?  How long from adding new worms till you separate and start over?  Do you use some sort of sifting process?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I just pick up a clod from the bin, break it open on a mat, separate the worms, return them to the bin and use what's left over on the mat.

You'll never have to add new worms, they are prolific.

I've always had difficulty getting worms going in straight mulch. I always need a certain amount of dirt mixed in.

Maybe that's because I'm using whatever common worms are already in the ground.

Now there is a good question.  What worms are best?  If I have too many, want to sell them to fishermen.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Red Wigglers

The Cadillac of worms... 

I am up and about a bit, but still plenty of couch lock binge time.  I think I am going to have to do that show up good soon. 

ITS THE PHONE POLICE MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTPzTG1Lx60

Back