• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I cant believe they quit stocking.....

Rothchild Farms Roasted Pineapple Habanero sauce at Costco. Now im pissed and out of it!!!! No way in hell im paying $15 a bottle plus shipping so.......

1 small can of crushed pineapple in its own juice
1 can of pineapple juice concentrate
About 3-4 smallish shallots minced
Some of my red hab, Sandia Select and red jalapeno powder
A couple whole allspice berries, black peppercorns and whole fancy cloves.
Juice from 1 small lemon
Vinegar...probably just ACV since that is what they used.
Adjust sweetness with raw sugar if needed

Heat it all up just long enough for the flavors to combine well.

This really grinds my gears!!!! I thawed out some whole thighs and a package of split dino breasts yesterday. I planned on thinning the Rothchilds with a little rice wine as a marinade and then baking them. Basting them just with the straight sauce and possibly a little powder blend for some extra heat.

I would use my fresh pineapple but its just gunna get cooked down anyway. If it turns out ok i will roast some fresh with red bells. The red jalapenos from this powder had a sweet red bell flavor so that might be enough. First time i ever dehydrated ripe jalapenos. I could eat them like candy sticks they were so sweet.

The Rothchilds is just a basting sauce, topping for cream cheese or a dipping sauce. Not even close to what i would call a hot sauce. Its really sweet but im addicted to it. Their hab pineapple slaw recipe is just outstanding IMHO.

Costco does that. Drives me crazy. They use to have some pot stickers there that I really liked and they stopped selling them.

I think i know the ones you are talking about too. Now they just have a chicken pot sticker. They did the same thing with some eggrolls that were not bad either. They didnt even get in my favorite olives again this year. That one really burns my biscuit because its my sodium treat :D A jar half the size at Shnucks cost more.

I love these things!!!
costco-786073-mezzetta-pitted-castelvetrano-olives-spec.jpg

Walmart is good for that as well. bought Tabascos Habanero sauce there for years, all of a sudden they dont carry it. I bought enough to justify keeping it on the shelf.

Yesterday i had to wait for a critical package from UPS. By the time it arrived rush hour was in full swing so i waited until this morning to get the items i needed from the grocery store. Im making a simple lunch then getting started on the sauce and chicken for dinner.

Not bad but it needs some time to combine better. I only brought it upto a simmer and killed the heat. Only then did i add the crushed pineapple, I still have not added the lemon juice. I want it to cool completely first for that. Ended up adding 1tsp of minced garlic, 1tsp raw sugar, 3tbs rice wine and a 1/8 tsp ginger powder. Its VERY pineappley :D
qKtQKKr.jpg

yNOSSNS.jpg

2TInTe9.jpg

ciuTe2r.jpg

Not sure yet on the heat. Much more than Rothchilds but eating a spoonful is no problem. It did not cook very long. I didn't want to caramelize all the sugars so i could preserve the color as much as possible. Im sure its gunna warm up more once the flakes release more of the good stuff and rehydrate. :D

Chunky style. I might have to try this again and add some pectin for a "jam".

Basically looks just like Rothschild's maybe a tad darker. Looks great!

texas blues said:
Pectin would make it a hot pineapple marmalade.

How awesome would that be?

Nuthin' more awesome.
Agreed. The only thing I would MAYBE do different, is cut the shallots a little smaller.

Back