• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Request/ challenge: propagating

Hey all, I watch a lot of grow videos on YouTube and occasionally see branches with the foliage cut off sitting in bottles of water and it looks so crazy.

I was wondering if anyone who has some experience would be willing to chop a branch off their pepper and strip it off leaves to see what happens? For instance it's so ridiculous to think a little twig can grow into a full plant.

Masher said:
I tried it last yr with 30 branches.....100% total failure for me.

These were very late season cuts though.  
I've tried with peppers and tomatoes. 100% failure. I've never used that rooting hormone though so maybe it really does make a difference

I’m running at about a 99% failure rate. I’ve tried cloning about 8 Tabasco stems with rooting enzyme in dirt (failure). I’ve tried cloning a blackcap berry stem in water no enzyme (failed). Tried some shrubbery stems in dirt with enzyme (failed again). Only success was a lilac cutting from my grand parents farm about 40 years ago. I still like to try to get a cutting to take root. I believe that you need to use green stem not a woody one. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teaks said:
Do you guys put the powder on the cut and leave it out or submerge it in water after the powder?
Dip it in the powder then put it in a peat disc or rock wool and put it in the humidity dome. The humidity dome is very important because there's no root system yet to absorb water, so all the moisture the plants gets comes from the humidity. It usually took about a week for me before the cuttings started to develop roots. Be patient too and don't remove the dome until they start to root  cuz you'll let the humidity out. The last time I did it, I did like 70 or so cuttings and only 3 failed.

Aeroponics is the way to go,but rockwool works well also.  Oxygen is so important in cloning,seed germination,and even your soiless mixes for transplanting. It is every bit as important as heat and water. Make sure you take cuttings of supple portions of the plant and not lignified ones.

I had successful rooting in my Aerogarden. I just placed the cutting into the aerogarden plug, and waited. My problem was that the plant seemed stunted, and wasn't growing very fast. In fact, my seedings outpaced the cutting within a few weeks.

Anybody tried air-layering?
I get about 75% success when doing it on fruit trees.
Never tried it on a pepper plant because seeds were so easy and peppers usually only last about 3 or 4 years with a few exceptions.

I did two cuttings last fall, both were sucessful.

I used Hyponex root hormone and Root Riot plugs in a shot glass. I just kept the plugs wet, in a well-lighted area but out of direct sunlight, and about two weeks later I had roots showing.

I did two cuttings last fall, both were sucessful.

I used Hyponex root hormone and Root Riot plugs in a shot glass. I just kept the plugs wet, in a well-lighted area but out of direct sunlight, and about two weeks later I had roots showing.

IdahoPepper said:
I had successful rooting in my Aerogarden. I just placed the cutting into the aerogarden plug, and waited. My problem was that the plant seemed stunted, and wasn't growing very fast. In fact, my seedings outpaced the cutting within a few weeks.
I prefer sowing new seeds over cloning and overwintering. I always see better vigor.

Never really tried peppers since seeds seem to out pace them as mentioned.  For herb/flowers/toms I have had good luck in aquaponics/expanded shale with a plastic clear cup over...good areation.  I had good luck with DE.  It has good air and won't succumb to stem rot/damping off like most mediums.  A 1 to 10 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide sprayed on top of medium will help with fungus/mold/bacteria.  I use honey from my hives instead of root tone.

This year I took in late september cuttings and put them in distilled water, changed the water every 3-4 days. No other tricks or techniques. The plants I took cuttings were a tepin and a Pimenta de Neyde. I'm happy to say that now I have 4 tepin clones and 3 PDN.

They're in my apartment, growing foliage under lights. Unfortunately I have a fungus gnats problem I'm dealing with, difficult to go away.

mememe said:
This year I took in late september cuttings and put them in distilled water, changed the water every 3-4 days. No other tricks or techniques. The plants I took cuttings were a tepin and a Pimenta de Neyde. I'm happy to say that now I have 4 tepin clones and 3 PDN.

They're in my apartment, growing foliage under lights. Unfortunately I have a fungus gnats problem I'm dealing with, difficult to go away.
Put a fan on your plants and let the soil dry out. The gnats will go away.

Back