Business Software

OK, I've made a lot of progress in getting the business going.  I have formed the LLC, working with a copacker on the first two batches, have insurance, etc.  Now it's time to get software to help me keep track of expenses, sales, inventory, etc.  The obvious default is Quickbooks but I have seen less than favorable reviews.  What other options are you guys using??

I truly appreciate the help!

I have used Quickbooks since the late 90s.  It's not perfect by any means but it is good.  Recently we switched from one point of sale system to Revel point of sale.  That they integrate with Quickbooks was the deciding factor in our decision, though I liked several other systems.  Revel is well featured and good enough to stand on its own without quickbooks, as are several other point of sale systems - mostly it's personal preference for layout, features, etc.

Prior to our move to Quickbooks I was keeping the books in excel (yeah I'm that old lol).  Bottom line is that there are many options for you to use, but in the real world you can track all inventory and sales in any spreadsheet (google docs word/sheets are robust and free) and do not have to use an accounting software - especially when you're starting out.  You need the big stuff; bottles made, costs per bottle, bottles sold, etc - all of which can be done w a basic spreadsheet.

If you need more than basic inventory/sales tracking that you can set up using formulas in excel/google sheets then I'd recommend Quickbooks.  Not because it's the best per se, but because it's got everything you'll need from start to when you get big enough to hire outside accounting help AND there is a wealth of information/forums out there where answers can be had.  

Back