• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Anyone grill a big filet mignon

I got a last minute text from my mom to cook a filet today.  My sis spent $116 at out local butcher which has great quality meat.  I imaging it is 6-7lbs.  I made a lot of deer and pork loins but never a beef loin.  It is always a pain getting her NG grill to heat up especially when its cold. 

I am undecided on using a black pepper rub and grilling it whole or cutting it up.  For pork I usually use a brown sugar rub.  For deer I like to knock off the sweetness with soy and garlic.  Then the usual cumin, various peppers, garlic, paprika, thyme etc...

I like a good sear on beef but also rare to med rare which might not sit well with the women and kids.  So cutting it up makes sense for med well servings.

Any suggestions?

Goggle reverse sear method. you won't be sorry. I cooked a 7# prime rib yesterday and it came out tender and juicy. I used the oven, 3 hours at 250 or till it reaches 120, let cool about 30 minutes then blast it at 500 to get the crust you want.

Attachments

• 100_1262.JPG
    100_1262.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 81
That looks awesome Rajun.  I do pork on my elec smoker like that and transfer to grill to finish it off.  I haven't cooked meat in an oven for 20 years since doing a pot roast.   She does have a fancy new double oven with convection that I haven't figured out.   Knowing my sisters the ovens will be packed.  Then they always forget the crescent rolls.  I usually have to take over because they have no concept in having everything done at the same time.  I was just worried there was not enough fat to do it in the oven.

Cooking a filet beyond medium rare will destroy it, Not enough fat. Anything above 140 will be dry, 135 would be the highest temp I'd cook it too..I like the reverse sear method Rajun mentioned. But I normally cut steaks since it is just my wife and I, But a complete filet roast is way more impressive..A good filet just needs salt and pepper, save the rubs for cheaper cuts that need them.Though i'm not against serving a good sauce with it like Bearnaise or Brandy cream sauce. 

Mr.CtChilihead said:
Cooking a filet beyond medium rare will destroy it, Not enough fat. Anything above 140 will be dry, 135 would be the highest temp I'd cook it too..I like the reverse sear method Rajun mentioned. But I normally cut steaks since it is just my wife and I, But a complete filet roast is way more impressive..A good filet just needs salt and pepper, save the rubs for cheaper cuts that need them.Though i'm not against serving a good sauce with it like Bearnaise or Brandy cream sauce. 

I was thinking 125 then cut off the ends and raise them to 135 for the picky people.  Is there a need to tie it up? 

Been looking at some Chateaubriand vids..salt and pepper sounds right.  Maybe some rosemary.  

Just never dealt with a whole beef filet.  Normally I would cut it up and freeze it like I would venison.  Then I would save a couple 1lb center cut filet for a samller family meals like you mentioned.   

We used to cook whole beef tenderloin on the grill. Baste with just garlic butter, salt and pepper. We would cut off the thin end first and eat slices of it right off the grill since it cooked way faster than the large end.

Pulling beef out of the oven at low temps (under 140F for sure) and letting it rest under a foil/towels to hold in the heat works great. 120F will come out much better than you might think if its given time to rest. If its too rare, quick sear a slice on a REALLY hot grill.

I use a cast iron pan then into a preheated 450* oven.

Heat pan med hi....add 1 Tbls each of butter and olive oil...get to smoke point.

sear fillet on each side 2 mins.

Place cast iron skillet directly into preheated oven.....roast 10 mins.

Pull from pan and rest 3mins.  should give you med rare throughout.

This is for individual servings though not a whole loin or roast.

The Hot Pepper said:
Little late for getting supplies for sauces

ShowMeDaSauce said:
We used to cook whole beef tenderloin on the grill. Baste with just garlic butter, salt and pepper. We would cut off the thin end first and eat slices of it right off the grill since it cooked way faster than the large end.

Pulling beef out of the oven at low temps (under 140F for sure) and letting it rest under a foil/towels to hold in the heat works great. 120F will come out much better than you might think if its given time to rest. If its too rare, quick sear a slice on a REALLY hot grill.

That's what I'm thinking...no need to sweat it just grill it.  

Mom text me and said there are 2 filets 4.4 lbs and 4.9 lbs which changes the equation and makes it easier.  The old man burns everything to shoe leather...

Masher said:
I use a cast iron pan then into a preheated 450* oven.

Heat pan med hi....add 1 Tbls each of butter and olive oil...get to smoke point.

sear fillet on each side 2 mins.

Place cast iron skillet directly into preheated oven.....roast 10 mins.

Pull from pan and rest 3mins.  should give you med rare throughout.

This is for individual servings though not a whole loin or roast.

That's what most of the vids do.  I never tried it that way and just grill them. 

Then again I never buy filet mignon since I usually have venison on hand.

Rairdog said:
I have rice vinegar and butter.  Never made a bearnaise but usually make hollandaise for aspargus. 

Yeah not sure why the one I linked has lemon also. Usually only vin. Basic recipes are all over tho.

Screw it. Make a compound butter. Make it today so you can freeze. Just let some butter soften on put in some aromatic herbs, and chili powder (if the fam eats it). Roll it into a log in plastic warp or freezer paper. Serving day slice into large coins, and top steak.

Cook the Venison same way, just wrap in bacon first to add a little fat....maybe cut cooking time in half.

Lucky man to have venison on hand.

I am planning a trip to WA to see relatives next summer.  Hopefully we get some dungeness while we are out salmon fishing.  I will have to remember to make some bearnaise. 

I would gladly give up venison for dungees, clams and mussels.   Might have to take an elk for the girls to have something to eat.

Back