• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Help!!! How to remove seed hull

Ive had 2-3 sprouts this year that the hull just never came off.  They were generic peppers so I wasnt too concerned if they didnt make it.  They all eventually died.  My first ever Moruga Scorpion started to sprout about a week ago.  The hull wont come off and I dont want to lose this sprout if possible.  What is a successful way to get the hull off. 

It's called "helmet head" and i'm surprised it's been such a persistent issue. You can try putting them in a humidity dome type thing with a light on it. The humidity might help soften the shell. If that fails, You can try to GENTLY remove the shell with some tweezers. Humidity might help but if this is a seed stock issue, you might consider soaking the seeds in water for a day to help soften the seed before germination.

The method that I use is to first soften the seed case a bit with a couple drops of water, and then very carefully cut around the seam of the seed using small nail clippers. I have had good success with this method, but it is important to act quickly when helmet heads appear. If you wait too long, the cotyledons can wither inside the seed case. 

If you are having problems with helmet heads, try planting the seeds slightly deeper. An ounce of prevention and all that. 

Thanks for both responses.  I let a water drop sit on the hull for about 45 minutes.  With tweezers and a needle I was able to remove the hull.  The leaves I am not sure if they are viable or not.  They dont look healthy but they dont look dead either.  I put it under my light and hopefully it will pull through.

I appreciate your help. 

loki1982 said:
Thanks for both responses.  I let a water drop sit on the hull for about 45 minutes.  With tweezers and a needle I was able to remove the hull.  The leaves I am not sure if they are viable or not.  They dont look healthy but they dont look dead either.  I put it under my light and hopefully it will pull through.

I appreciate your help. 
Post a pic if you can. I've removed hulls before and they looked a little sad but they bounced back.

BlackFatalii said:
The method that I use is to first soften the seed case a bit with a couple drops of water, and then very carefully cut around the seam of the seed using small nail clippers. I have had good success with this method, but it is important to act quickly when helmet heads appear. If you wait too long, the cotyledons can wither inside the seed case. 
This is exactly what I do, works every time

Back