Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 16 September 2018 - 03:39 PM

Hi Rick,

Congrats on the huge score at the fair ;)

I know one type of Onion I planted is a Walla Walla, and the other is a Yellow, unknown at the moment because it pouring again. I would have to go out and look. Glad they're under the porch roof. 18+ inches since Labor day, and now probably close to 19"s.

The fans gave me a chuckle, mainly because I've been there with a "pepper kitchen".

It's all about the pods....

#462 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hi Rick,

Congrats on the huge score at the fair ;)

I know one type of Onion I planted is a Walla Walla, and the other is a Yellow, unknown at the moment because it pouring again. I would have to go out and look. Glad they're under the porch roof. 18+ inches since Labor day, and now probably close to 19"s.

The fans gave me a chuckle, mainly because I've been there with a "pepper kitchen".

Cheers Scott. Sounds like you're getting the rain we had at the end of August. My onion skins were so wet for so long before I harvested, that they had rotted where they came in contact with the soil. Now I know that I shouldn't leave them out so long when the tops die in those kind of conditions...

The sauce came out well, it was mostly my TS Yellow varieties and Douglahs with a few PDN x Bondas to make it an even 3 pounds of pods. The sauce is so thick I put it in wide-mouthed bottled to make it easier to spoon it out. It has a nice clean pepper flavor and a truly wicked creeping burn.

Next up is making up a triple batch of Jerk Rub tomorrow and packing it into 8 oz freezer containers to put away for the winter.

Cheers all!41c1f4982106f16f672e3439146fca1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#463 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,342 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 23 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

Oh yeah, way to much rain this September. I'm afraid it has hampered any chances of a fall crop, 21.5"s so far since the 3rd..

Watch out for mold setting in on the Onions during a wet harvest time. We've had that the last 2 seasons. They pull up so much water, and a month later the mold starts growing.

The last 2 years we've been running them through a food processor and freezing them, just so they don't go bad.

It's all about the pods....

#464 Walchit

Walchit

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,241 posts
  • aka:Bhuthead Andy

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

Sauce looks good rick!

#465 stc3248

stc3248

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

Where you at Rick??? Hope to see what's cooking up in the NE for the 2019 season soon.

Shane

www.imarunnut.blogspot.com/

#466 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,727 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

+1 Shane!

Hope you had a great season, Rick.
Didnt get to check in much this year,
but will do better next season.

Maybe next year will be a little drier 😎

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: In-ground, New England, Foodie, Soil Testing, Amendments, Biochar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests