• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoking peppers Recipes?

Just got a smoker and wanting to smoke anything and everything.  I found a few threads, but want a little more detail about smoking peppers, onions, and garlic for hot sauce/salsa.  What type of wood chips, how long, and temp?  are there any peppers that are better smoked than others?

I use an electric smoker too, but have the barrel of another charcoal brinkman that I put on top of the electric smoker, gives me more trays and the peppers and sensative stuff can go up top where it is cooler, but still smoked.  Too much heat closer to the pan and smoke wood tray IMHO.

I recently smoked up some yellow onions, garlic, mild red bell peppers, and three red bhut jolokias, on a small brinkman electric smoker using applewood chunks.  Then processed it with apple cider vinegar, and a bit of salt, and canned them.  Then, about two weeks later, reprocessed and bottled them into 5-oz. woozies.  Holiday gifts for unsuspecting victims.  Plenty hot, but not unbearable.  The peppers are the majority of the recipe, then onions, other stuff.

Three months ago I smoked up a bunch of yellow Jamaican scotch bonnets and make a ferment.  Processed that over the holidays, and it's got plenty of bite too, and with some honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, etc, came out killer.

I did 2 separate batches this last summer. First batch I used cherry and hickory smoked them for about 3 hrs they came out smokey great. Second batch I used apple wood and only smoked them for about 2 hrs, this batch was a lot milder on the smokey side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take some aluminum roasting pans or cake pans, punch a bunch of holes in them, bottom and sides, put the chiles or veggies in that and then into the smoker.  Waaaayyy better than trying to put peppers on the grate in the smoker.   Onion pieces fall apart and fall through the shelves.  Same thing with small peppers. 
IMG_6815.JPG

Have Fun!
SL

salsalady said:
Take some aluminum roasting pans or cake pans, punch a bunch of holes in them, bottom and sides, put the chiles or veggies in that and then into the smoker.  Waaaayyy better than trying to put peppers on the grate in the smoker.   Onion pieces fall apart and fall through the shelves.  Same thing with small peppers. 
attachicon.gif
IMG_6815.JPG

Have Fun!
SL
I thought about trying cheese cloth. I use it when smoking salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hot Pepper said:

those are great flat options, but you can't pile up a lot of stuff on the flat grates.  I always seem to be looking at doing (pounds) of peppers.  Using a perforated roasting pan worked.  And I was able to clean them and use them a few times.  at .99 each, good deal~~~  :cool:

Attachments

• post-2879-0-66517500-1476056027_thumb.jpg
    post-2879-0-66517500-1476056027_thumb.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 53
Back