• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter_L's Twenty Eighteen: New Plants, Same Scene

Hello all!

I had a decent sized grow last year, but this will be my first Glog.

I'm still just growing for fun as the first priority. Some other goals are: to make some white and yellow hot sauces (hence the White Ghost and yellow cultivars), to practice crossing (no specific crosses planned yet), and to practice grafting (so I can OW just one plant with two or three different peppers on it).

Since there are so many varieties out there, I have yet to solidify my 2018 grow list.
I'll briefly list a few that I am currently or I am tentatively planning on starting from seed this year.

Aji Mango
Yellow Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto
White Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Brain Strain
Bonda Ma Jacques
Golden Treasure Chile 
Red Bell
7-Pot Douglah
7-Pot Red
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Jobito

And there will be several more once I get my list finalized!

Anyway, it'll be a while before a lot of those seeds get started; here's what I have growing right now.

Seeds already started

Aji Mango
mr4zZ1m.jpg

Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto (left) and Yellow Rocoto (right)
VAqi4wA.jpg

Cutback OW or Bonchi candidates - only the one in the "bottle" is in it's final pot

Chocolate Habanero (smashed into an interesting shape from the June 2017 Hail storm)
5UC9KPY.jpg

91LfDrA.jpg

Red Habanero
eAFFPGj.jpg

A couple others
SjasEZY.jpg

CANh1PY.jpg

A couple of my full OW

Aji Pineapple
nR0wJ69.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9 (it's looking a little sad lately, but I think it'll pull through)
xtSmX76.jpg

Some of my project plants (just on going fun experiments)
q1upd9Q.jpg

nq1He19.jpg

trOEzZV.jpg

planning on adding a few more "test tube plants" soon...

Well there you have it, hope you stop back again when I have a few more seeds sprouted and my Bonchi looks better.

Have a great day,
Peter

Looking good Peter I will follow your glog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_L said:
Hello all!

I had a decent sized grow last year, but this will be my first Glog.

I'm still just growing for fun as the first priority. Some other goals are: to make some white and yellow hot sauces (hence the White Ghost and yellow cultivars), to practice crossing (no specific crosses planned yet), and to practice grafting (so I can OW just one plant with two or three different peppers on it).

Since there are so many varieties out there, I have yet to solidify my 2018 grow list.
I'll briefly list a few that I am currently or I am tentatively planning on starting from seed this year.

Aji Mango
Yellow Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto
White Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Brain Strain
Bonda Ma Jacques
Golden Treasure Chile 
Red Bell
7-Pot Douglah
7-Pot Red
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Jobito

And there will be several more once I get my list finalized!

Anyway, it'll be a while before a lot of those seeds get started; here's what I have growing right now.

Seeds already started

Aji Mango
mr4zZ1m.jpg

Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto (left) and Yellow Rocoto (right)
VAqi4wA.jpg

Cutback OW or Bonchi candidates - only the one in the "bottle" is in it's final pot

Chocolate Habanero (smashed into an interesting shape from the June 2017 Hail storm)
5UC9KPY.jpg

91LfDrA.jpg

Red Habanero
eAFFPGj.jpg

A couple others
SjasEZY.jpg

CANh1PY.jpg

A couple of my full OW

Aji Pineapple
nR0wJ69.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9 (it's looking a little sad lately, but I think it'll pull through)
xtSmX76.jpg

Some of my project plants (just on going fun experiments)
q1upd9Q.jpg

nq1He19.jpg

trOEzZV.jpg

planning on adding a few more "test tube plants" soon...

Well there you have it, hope you stop back again when I have a few more seeds sprouted and my Bonchi looks better.

Have a great day,
Peter

One of my favourite grows last season and loved watching all your very informative videos, showing various set ups, for growing not only chillis, but herbs and other veg.
Your plants on your drip system we're superb producers and some huge pods.
Wishing you a great and fruitful season Peter.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Well it's been about 2 and a half months; I better post an update! Things should be a bit more interesting when the plants are bigger of course.

Here is a "final" grow-from-seed list (everything on this list is planted or already germinated)

Aji Mango
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Ahuachapan
Tabasco
White Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Brain Strain
Bonda Ma Jacques
7-Pot Douglah
7-Pot Red
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T Red
King B.O.C.
Chocolate Carolina Reaper
Kathumby Yellow
Orange Habanero (sparticus)
Chocolate Habanero
Red Habanero
Inca Red Drop
Peach Wasp (unknown Red cross)
Aji Jobito
Bolsa de Dulce
Wild Brazil
Hungarian Hot Wax
Mira Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
Golden Treasure
Yellow Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto

A few of these are open pollinated and some I only planted a couple seeds (space is hard to come by!) so it remains to be seen what I exactly end up with. 

I have overwintered several more plants:

Chocolate Habanero (Bonchi)
Red Habanero (Bonchi)
White Habanero
Lemon Habanero
Peach Habanero
Orange Habanero
Bleeding Borg 9
Aji Pineapple
Big Sweet Chocolate Pepper
Farmer's Market Jalapeño
Trick-or-Treat Habanero
Trinidad Pimento

and my girlfriend gave me a Black Pearl for my birthday! Eh, she knows me too well!

Lastly I don't want to take credit for someone else's hard work
Superhot Sim said:
One of my favourite grows last season and loved watching all your very informative videos...
Wishing you a great and fruitful season Peter.
Peter S (sorry for the name confusion) has a great Youtube channel that I am also a huge fan of. His Glog is here:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67127-peters-2018-grow-log/

Black Pearl from the GF
PANbNEY.jpg

Aji Omnicolor brand new sprouts
jr8pMZh.jpg

I believe White Bhut Jolokia and Bonda Ma Jacques
aXcYDC6.jpg

Bonchi! chocolate Hab
bWdswDt.jpg

L2tV9pc.jpg

Red Hab
d1oHXVO.jpg

A couple random overwinters
yn2R4De.jpg

dVoGLX1.jpg

And a big tray of my last batch of planted seeds
yO7PBgo.jpg

My mistake I got you mixed up with the other Peter lol... Yeah he has a great very informative you tube channel..

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Good looking grow list, Peter. I see some unfamiliar varieties there I'll have to look up.

I'm impressed with your fully-leafed OWs. Mine always seem to lose most of their leaves. But at least a few of them leaf out again, which is an improvement from where I started.

Well overdue again!

Eh, better late than never.

Things have been chugging along. I've been slowly transplanting for the last month. Finished all of the "first rounders" as of today. Still a LOT of spares/duplicates I'm trying to give away and eventually I'll plant some of whatever is left.

If anyone is wondering, this year my plants/seeds were from P.B.M., R.F.C., Jubnat, Baker Creek and G.I.P. Special thanks to G.I.P. and Jubnat because the best seeds are free seeds! And... they'll be potential surprises from open pollination.

I know everyone comes for the pictures anyway so I won't make you wait any longer.

My closet about 7 weeks ago
7NiQsBZ.jpg

Transporting from the closet to planting site...
nbxxG3k.jpg

2018 GDTD plant about 4 weeks ago
nl3cjFU.jpg

This trooper (White Hab) was a runt from last spring. It survived over a year to finally get it's chance in the sun!
IG2Skaa.jpg

Black Pearl that was a birthday gift from my girlfriend
czp87N7.jpg

Small set of plants - picture taken ~ 6/2
TZo1XmS.jpg

New transplant - I just liked the picture
IILmWpc.jpg

Finally transplanted as of this morning!
ToFUkPw.jpg

Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto flower
N96oRcE.jpg

Peru Bitdumi Red Rocoto (full plant)
Ga6D3p1.jpg

Aji Mango flowers
a7HJy8X.jpg

First pepper of the year!!!!  :dance: Haha  I think this is my Lemon Habanero overwinter...
KLzTPjW.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Since it's summer now and everything will actually be somewhat interesting to share in pictures, I'm planning on updating at least every 2 weeks or so. :onfire: 

Have a great day!

As promised, two weeks later!

Everything is moving along and growing. I think nearly every flower on that Aji Mango plant from two weeks ago set so there's a ton of pods on it. Nothing on my C. pubescens yet though... oh well, I know they're finicky. The in-ground garden is doing really well too (but not many peppers in there so it's pretty boring tbh haha). 

Here's some pictures!

Bonda Ma Jacques (left) and Orange Habanero [spartacus] (right)
CKnV3uN.jpg

Kathumby Yellow (left) and Black Pearl (right)
4sjFP5s.jpg

Tabasco (lower left), 7-Pot Yellow Brainstrain (upper left), Peru Bitdumi (right)
klDRuL1.jpg

Overwinters! Including Aji Pineapple, Yellow and Orange Habs, Trinidad Pimento
zeYEzzW.jpg

In-ground garden - highlighting some tomatillos
uLXWQ3G.jpg

Also a picture of my Phalaenopsis Orchid - it's got a new flower spike coming
gIOadYI.jpg

Have a great day!

Peter_L said:
As promised, two weeks later!

Everything is moving along and growing. I think nearly every flower on that Aji Mango plant from two weeks ago set so there's a ton of pods on it. Nothing on my C. pubescens yet though... oh well, I know they're finicky. The in-ground garden is doing really well too (but not many peppers in there so it's pretty boring tbh haha). 

Here's some pictures!

Bonda Ma Jacques (left) and Orange Habanero [spartacus] (right)
CKnV3uN.jpg

Kathumby Yellow (left) and Black Pearl (right)
4sjFP5s.jpg

Tabasco (lower left), 7-Pot Yellow Brainstrain (upper left), Peru Bitdumi (right)
klDRuL1.jpg

Overwinters! Including Aji Pineapple, Yellow and Orange Habs, Trinidad Pimento
zeYEzzW.jpg

In-ground garden - highlighting some tomatillos
uLXWQ3G.jpg

Also a picture of my Phalaenopsis Orchid - it's got a new flower spike coming
gIOadYI.jpg

Have a great day!

Plants are looking good Peter  :clap:

my Glog is an overdue outdated mess,  :mope:
i've got several unsorted pics on the Wife and I's phones,  but the plants don't even look good due to neglect  :(
Health before hobbies and all that  :neutral:

Hope you and the GF are doing well 
:cheers:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

Plants are looking good Peter  :clap:

my Glog is an overdue outdated mess,  :mope:
i've got several unsorted pics on the Wife and I's phones,  but the plants don't even look good due to neglect  :(
Health before hobbies and all that  :neutral:

Hope you and the GF are doing well 
:cheers:

Thanks!

It's not like you have much to prove though, you've already been above and beyond. And I've got some plants that don't look the greatest (mostly still really small), but that's the secret.  :shh:  I can look more impressive by only showing the good stuff!  ;) I think that's the trick of overwinters, like the photogenic go-to until the end of the summer when everything starts looking nice.

I agree, health is first priority. I hope your health improves as quickly as possible.

Sorry I'm late. Just got back from a longish vacation (very nice and relaxing) and I didn't get around to posting pictures I took before I left. Also quick apology on the image quality, I'm using a different phone temporarily and the camera is a lot worse.

In general everything is going well, weather is mostly cooperating and trending to be favorable to pepper plants (hotter than average and definitely humid). Surprisingly my annuums have been slower than I expected, but there have been obvious setbacks (example to follow). In my case, almost everything I overwintered has been a superstar. I'm expecting ripe pods in maybe 3 weeks time from some of them.  :onfire: My tomatillos are already spitting out ripe fruit - which tastes even better than I expected. Fresh superhot salsa, here I come!  :drooling:

Any general setbacks have been minor and I'm certainly expecting a far more productive year than the last one was (all else equal from here on). 

So here is everything as of Saturday afternoon.

GDTD plant (Yellow 7-Pot BrainStrain) - no flowers yet, but it's one of my biggest plants. I'm expecting it to be covered in flowers any week now.
4lPF6qT.jpg

Peru Bitdumi showing a couple developing pods! I think I'm going to try to overwinter this plant.
knXmJcW.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9 - looking good!
hoqAVY3.jpg

Black Pearl - flowers and fruit. Not a great picture, but it lives up to it's reputation of being a seriously attractive plant.
2ZZfToh.jpg

Aji Pineapple - all this thing did last year was drop flower after flower. After an overwinter (and a stern talking-to) it's finally pumping out pods
iFAV6CH.jpg

Aji Ahuachapan
C6DZbtO.jpg

White Mira Pepper - I have 3 Mira Peppers and they all have this heavy foliage damage. I'm thinking it's from 3 striped potato beetles, but I haven't specifically seen them in action (cause when I got back from vacation, my tomatillos were being ravaged by those buggers). I squished about 50 adults (on the tomatillos) and countless eggs so hopefully that'll knock them down for a little bit. I'm not sure what makes the Mira Pepper leaves much more appealing to munch on, but I guess they must taste like tomatillo leaves?  :think:

cTdQ1Tj.jpg

Orange Habanero [Spartacus]
lNGfKTD.jpg

Have a great day!

Hello again!

Things are starting to trickle in now. I imagine I'll have enough fresh pods from here on out to cover all my needs. (And in 3 weeks, I'll have too many and in 6 weeks, I'll have WAY too many  ;) )

I've been a bit too busy to try practicing hand pollinating flowers to make specific crosses yet, but I'm going to try to get some in soon. I want to be able to get seeds to check for success next year.

I'll get to the pictures. There's still a lot of green, but I expect my next post will have many more colors.

OW orange habanero. Not the first ripe one, but the first non-runty ripe one
YsdrxeV.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9
j3a2HMI.jpg

Orange habanero [spartacus]
HVS2s9v.jpg

Black Pearl
S1CMGLB.jpg

Kathumby Yellow
UNwRMr1.jpg

Trinidad Pimento
LcANzQB.jpg

Aji Mango (finally almost getting to be ripe)
D3rmVSU.jpg

Aji Ahuachapan - seems a little big, but I don't know because I've never grown it before. From open pollinated seeds so could be a cross.
TFXJaMl.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques - super excited for this one!
FZ3aKtJ.jpg

Aji Omnicolor
qjcqKzS.jpg

Mira White Pepper - yep, it's white...
6Ef1VUL.jpg

Red Bell Pepper - after setting one early pod that's nearly ripe now, the plants have just been growing and getting really tall. Finally pumping some more fruit out.
cls6B2b.jpg

Thanks for taking a look and have a great day!

Peter_L said:
Hello again!

Things are starting to trickle in now. I imagine I'll have enough fresh pods from here on out to cover all my needs. (And in 3 weeks, I'll have too many and in 6 weeks, I'll have WAY too many  ;) )

I've been a bit too busy to try practicing hand pollinating flowers to make specific crosses yet, but I'm going to try to get some in soon. I want to be able to get seeds to check for success next year.

I'll get to the pictures. There's still a lot of green, but I expect my next post will have many more colors.

OW orange habanero. Not the first ripe one, but the first non-runty ripe one
YsdrxeV.jpg

Bleeding Borg 9
j3a2HMI.jpg

Orange habanero [spartacus]
HVS2s9v.jpg

Black Pearl
S1CMGLB.jpg

Kathumby Yellow
UNwRMr1.jpg

Trinidad Pimento
LcANzQB.jpg

Aji Mango (finally almost getting to be ripe)
D3rmVSU.jpg

Aji Ahuachapan - seems a little big, but I don't know because I've never grown it before. From open pollinated seeds so could be a cross.
TFXJaMl.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques - super excited for this one!
FZ3aKtJ.jpg

Aji Omnicolor
qjcqKzS.jpg

Mira White Pepper - yep, it's white...
6Ef1VUL.jpg

Red Bell Pepper - after setting one early pod that's nearly ripe now, the plants have just been growing and getting really tall. Finally pumping some more fruit out.
cls6B2b.jpg

Thanks for taking a look and have a great day!
I know how that goes as far as the 2weeks vs 6 weeks having WAY too many pods lol, been there myself past few weeks and it's a constant harvest, and loaded down with so much garden work/harvesting/figuring out what to do with em, and I still see the real tsunami of pods coming! I set out with the same goals as you but in the same boat as far as the crossing... So damn busy with everything and learning/running the ropes AS-IS! It'll be easier next year when we have our sea legs from growing this year!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

YAMracer754 said:
I know how that goes as far as the 2weeks vs 6 weeks having WAY too many pods lol, been there myself past few weeks and it's a constant harvest, and loaded down with so much garden work/harvesting/figuring out what to do with em, and I still see the real tsunami of pods coming! I set out with the same goals as you but in the same boat as far as the crossing... So damn busy with everything and learning/running the ropes AS-IS! It'll be easier next year when we have our sea legs from growing this year!

I hope it will get easier every year. There is certainly an incentive to do so! It's even more difficult because I don't live where most of my plants are so I only see them once or twice a week. The advantage to that is, there is always progress every time I look at them  :party: . At least we're moving into my favorite part of the season.

Walchit said:
I wouldn't mind seeing the calyx on that bleedi g Borg 9. Mine is not very bbgish and I'm wondering if it will bleed.

The calyx of that pod currently shows just the slightest hint of red at the base of the stem. This particular plant shows the correct phenotype (once it gets past the early season runty pods). I overwintered it and it was very "bleeding" last year. In my experience with this plant it takes about 4-5 weeks from setting the pod to getting a full red ripe pod, then there is a slow progression of the calyx and even the stem getting more and more red. Full "bleeding" effect after about another 4 weeks... so it certainly takes time.

Here is a picture of the same plant (not a great one, but it shows enough) from January 2nd of this year. Those pods set around mid October and were fully red to top of the stem by mid December.

M6ZI1po.jpg

It's that time of the month again...

What time you ask? Pepper time!

A good portion of the last 2 weeks was excellent weather for pepper growing. Sunny, upper 80s, and kind of high humidity. There were a few plants that grew a foot last week. And some decided to go crazy with flowers (which I personally prefer).

Sorry about some of the pictures looking low quality, I was messing around with some compression settings.

Aji Mango
B0GY2Mg.jpg

Peru Bitdumi - must have been the good weather, this thing is finally setting pods like crazy
xwc7Jtc.jpg

Orange Habanero [spartacus] - I'm going to have lots of ripe ones really soon
BNuqtVz.jpg

Yellow 7-Pot BrainStrain - probably safe to say I'm well out of the running in the GDTD, but it finally has flowers!
JX91Pg2.jpg

Yellow Rocoto (I'll have to double check on the exact breed) - loaded with flowers and a few little pods
mbFD3sz.jpg

Inca Red Drop - this thing went crazy the last 2 weeks
v3ZX4zq.jpg

Wild Brazil
QUZGcVl.jpg

White Habanero
Q94alRo.jpg

Red Bell Pepper - big bunch of color right there
Rkoq6A1.jpg

Peach Wasp (unknown Red cross) - looking pretty obvious that this has some Bhut characteristics now. I'll keep a close eye on it.
53UGJQK.jpg

That's where we're at! Making some salsa verde this weekend with the girlfriend. Gotta use those tomatillos some how!

Have a great day!

Damn, those (not) Peach Wasps look crazy. I'm guessing those are from mine last year? I can't wait to see what turns up with mine, I planted them really late, so no pods yet.
But, your pods look so different, that I can't help but think it may have crossed with something in my garden last year. The only superhot near it was a Yellow Brainstrain that ended up red. Keep me posted!
And everything else looks great man!

I hope the next few days forecast (~50 0F nighttime lows) is an anomaly and not an indication that this will be a short Minnesota growing season. Let's get those lows back in the 60s! I'm guessing there will be quite a bit of flower drop the next few days, but a lot of my plants are already loaded with little pods so hopefully it won't be much of an issue.

To start, an overview picture of my main growing area.
SLqNJOu.jpg

I think about 18 plants (give or take a few) are visible here. I know it's not great for them to be on top of each other like this (competing for sunlight and what not), but I rotate the shorter plants to the edges and the ones in the middle are already huge. As a plus, I haven't noticed any sun-scalding on pods. I'm showing mostly the same few plants every update (even though there are many more) because I think these are the most interesting/good-looking and they have obvious changes week to week. 

Moving on to specifics...

Kathumby Yellow
z9NKiVZ.jpg

Wild Brazil 
OuTIrMf.jpg

Inca Red Drop (with more Wild Brazil behind)
ytNp3lv.jpg

Yellow 7-Pot BrainStrain
cZCnzBE.jpg

Black Pearl
El2XLOP.jpg

Peach Wasp (unknown Red cross) *Plant 1
2JwWBWk.jpg

Peach Wasp (unknown Red cross) *Plant 2
HA5J5RF.jpg

Bonus! My orchid is finally in full bloom beauty again!
qRSpHMk.jpg

Jubnat said:
Damn, those (not) Peach Wasps look crazy. I'm guessing those are from mine last year? I can't wait to see what turns up with mine, I planted them really late, so no pods yet.
But, your pods look so different, that I can't help but think it may have crossed with something in my garden last year. The only superhot near it was a Yellow Brainstrain that ended up red. Keep me posted!
And everything else looks great man!

Hey Jubnat, thanks for stopping by! Yeah, quite a few of the plants you'll see in this glog are from seeds saved from your gifted pods. I really appreciate the diversity you opened up to me.

I think I saved seeds from 3 of the "Peach Wasp" pods you gave me. These 2 plants would be from different pods originally. One of them obviously shows close to the true phenotype and the other is far from it (although I'd admit there is a slight chance of labeling mistake!  :doh:). I think we can make more assumptions when the final color of the "waspy" plant is known. The "Bhut" plant is definitely going red so that cross with the BrainStrain seems to be a likely explanation since red color and the bumpier skin are dominant traits. I'm trying to save isolated seeds from both of these plants to see results next year. With my plants being in such close proximity to each other, there are sure to be lots of accidental crosses. I'll certainly keep you posted!

Have a terrific day! 

Awesome!

Looks like you're about the same stage as me, just starting to get a few ripe pods here and there. I feel like nothing much is going on with my plants right now, but in a couple weeks it's going to explode

Back